Monday, May 24, 2010

Vogue 8644 In The Brightest Yellow

Happy Monday, everyone!

Today it is sunny and about 90 degrees in Chi-Town. Summer is here early. On the sew note, I thought I would have "made" V8644 (bright yellow linen blend) a week ago. But as usual I changed my mind and started working on something else.

Soon to come pant (S4366-OOP) and top (S2633) in a putty mystery fabric(part poly). I'm about halfway done with both hoping to post the finished outfit soon.

Two more pairs of pants (white and grey) cut and ready to sew using S4366.

And, two blouses: white and fuscia both made using M5884 (chartreuse).

That's it for now.

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Black and White of B5427

On Tuesday evening I finished the second suit made from Butterick 5427. It's not much different than the black suit finished last week. I put trim down the center front and sewed the buttonholes over that. Here are a few photos. Hopefully, I'll get pictures of my client wearing it.

Before the buttons were added

Buttonhole over trim

Trim on sleeve

This time I came closer to the "V" shaped neckline.

Parting shots - Min. Ross wearing the black suit on May 9, 2010.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

B5427 - The Black Suit

Last night I finished the first suit. I was happy with the results. The muslin the I sewed for the project will be the sloper for future garments. Min. Ross wants this basic suit for more outfits using different fabrics, trim with minor design line changes. That's a plus for me.

This evening she will pick up her suit, and I will probably cut the next on Friday. She needs it be the following week.

Here's the rest of my review:

Pattern Description: MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE JACKET, SKIRT AND PANTS: Lined, fitted jackets A, B, C, in two lengths, have stand-up collar, princess seams and above wrist length sleeves. A, B: snap closing and button trim. C: button and buttonhole closing. A, C: purchased trim. B: jewel stones. Semi-fitted skirt D, mid-knee length, has princess seams and back zipper. Semi-fitted, straight legged pants E have back zipper and optional creases.

Pattern Sizing: 6- 20

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes and No. I made several changes. But the basic design lines are the same.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't really read them as this is a basic princess seam jacket with basic straight/pencil skirt and pant. I did notice that the instructions suggested attaching one collar to the jacekt and the other to the lining. It's easier to complete the collar then attach it to the jacket then attach the lining.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? My client liked the basic design lines and saw the potential for several suits made from this same pattern.

Fabric Used: Duchess polyester satin and china silk for the lining.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Several alterations and design changes. First I started with the muslin and incorporated most of the design changes into that. Here is a blog post that documents some of the changes.

On the Skirt:

Trim on the collar and sleeve -

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. I'm cutting the next suit Friday. She'll want more things made from the pattern. And yes I do recommend it to others. This can be a sloper for princess style jacket and for a basic skirt and pant.

Conclusion: This was not difficult to sew. This is a good basic wardrobe pattern. All pictures here.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

B5427 - Clergy Garments

Too bad for me. I had to miss the April Haute Couture Meeting to meet a project deadline for Min. Ross. Last month, she asked me to make two suits from B5427. Of course, I did a muslin first to give a visual of how the suit would look.

Several changes were made based on her style and/or perference:

- Add length to jacket - 9 inches
- Add length to skirt - 2 inches
- Add back slit to skirt - 7 inches
- Add length to sleeve

Fitting changes -

The didn't need to make drastic fitting adjustments. Or maybe I'm getting used to making certain changes. ;-)

At the small of her back, I took in a bit.

I added a bit to the shoulder area. I inserted 1/2 shoulder pads for better shaping. Also from the muslin fitting I noticed that there was a lot of ease in the sleeve cap. So this change helping with that as well.

The collar stood away from the neck same as on the model of the pattern envelope.

She wanted a closer fit.

Jacket front neckline adjustment.

The collar was slightly wider than the desired trim. I adjustment the wideth.

The skirt was perfect as far as fit.

Next post, black suit finished with rest of the review.

Stay Tuned!

trying to meet a deadline for a project for Min. Ross. Two weeks prior I made a muslin for the suit.Busily sewing for Min. Ross who has commissioned me to make two suits (black and white) from Butterick 5427. Before I cut into the fabric, I made a muslin as she plans to have several outfits of this style.

Last week was the first fitting


Blog Widget by LinkWithin