This was a fun project. I enjoyed researching possible skirt styles and the sewing process. For months I've thought about making something with an African wax print fabric. So when I received the e-mail about the January challenge, it was a welcomed surprise. Perfect in that it would helped me to decide on a garment to make.
My print, of course, was this beautiful orange, green, and blue clothe with a diamond motif. The fabric was so easy to work with. It presses with the slightest of ease. I actually finger pressed the hem as I sewed it with no trouble at all. The clothe is smooth to the touch and has a lot of body. Perfect for the drape of the skirt. There are several beautiful prints and colors to choose from.
I follow a few people on Instagram, who post pictures of all types of garments. Then one day, I saw a picture of Queen "B" in a printed skirt and a striped cold shoulder top.
I liked it a lot and thought it's not your typical skirt. Of course, I had to bring the sexy down a bit. But it's definitely a winner. So I searched through the many boxes of patterns I own and decided to use the skirt of Vogue 1232.
The pattern is described as: Close-fitting, lower calf at center back length, lined dress has front darts, front and back princess seams, lapped fronts, shaped lower edge, gathered flounce, armhole overlay, collar with collar band, left side invisible zipper, self-fabric flower with large and small petals and pin back, self-fabric belt and thread belt carriers. It's out of print, but still available on the website. For my skirt, I used a straight size 16. No real fit issues.
Most of the pattern pieces are from shoulder to lower hip area. So I cut it at the lengthen and shorten line just above the natural waistline. I chose this location to give me a little more flexibility in determine where I'd like to where the skirt on or above my natural waistline. The front overlapping panels are about an inch shorter than the other panels.
The majority of my other changes were centered the construction of the skirt. I decided to omit the zipper converting it into a wrap skirt closing at the side front.
NOTE: There is an error on the pattern guide sheet. The illustration has the joining of skirt 17 and 18 in reverse. I sewed french seams on the skirt for a clean finish on the inside. After sewing the entire skirt together, I attached the lining where the flounce and yoke are sewn to conceal the seam. Then I based the lining and the skirt together at the top of the skirt. Instead of a facing or waistband, I attached petersham ribbon to finish the waist. To finish it off, I sewed a hook, eye, buttonhole, and button for the closures.
I really like how the skirt turned out. It is a unique style for an African wax print skirt. I don't know if I will make another skirt. We will see. ;-)
My likes about the pattern: the flounce and the fitted yoke. No dislike, other than the confusing illustration for the skirt construction.
In conclusion, I really enjoyed the process of making this skirt. I'm thinking about making the dress. I like the style of the dress. It would look great in a linen or challis.