Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Butterick 4386 Is a Winner - Easter Dress 2011









Every year I make my DD an Easter dress. This year was no exception. I picked the pattern; she picked the fabric.

We were lucky. The sky was clear and sunny. Perfect for pictures outside.

B4386 View B

Pattern Description: MISSES’/MISSES’ PETITE DRESS: Semi-fitted, straight dress in various lengths has back zipper closure and back seam slit. A: self bands. A, D: sleeveless. B: contrast collar and bow. B, E: cap sleeves. C: below elbow sleeves and self sash. D: patch pockets. F: long sleeves and front drape.


Pattern Sizing: 8 - 12. I used size 12 with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much. I made a few small changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? There was nothing difficult about them. Typical instructions. The dress went together with no problems.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the retro look of the collar and bow. No dislike.

Fabric Used: Silk Dupioni and Ambiance Bemberg Lining. Both fabrics are a dream to work with.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Alterations:

-I did a pigeon chest adjustment on the front bodice and facing. I also folded out a small tuck(not pictured) at the neckline to eliminate the gap at the neckline.
-Added an inch to the length.
-I made a small sway back adjustment.

Construction changes:

- The front and back dress are underlined with bemberg lining.
- Single fold bias tape was added to the hem.



- Double fold bias tape was added to finish the armholes.



- I prefer the invisible zipper



- Added a straight eye about an inch above the slit.



Design change:

- For the bow, I sewed the two pieces together to create a wide bow instead of the narrow one for view B.

Caution:

- There is a lot of ease in the sleeve cap. So you may want to remove some of it for a smooth finish.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't know if I will sew it again. But I do recommend it. It a great wardrobe builder.

Conclusion: This is a great little dress pattern that is fast and easy. Just like the pattern says. A good wardrobe builder.

21 comments:

  1. Lovely! The color is stunning and style suits her so well. All the extra finishing touches are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress you made and the color is beautiful. Your pictures of the construction details are great. Your daughter is one very lucky girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how beautiful! A lot of work went into this dress and it shows! I love the color fit and how beautiful you daughter is wearing it! You should be really proud of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully made dress. I could never persuade my teenage daughter to wear such a sophisticated dress. She prefers shortish skirts, t-shirts, jeans, jackets and very occasionally a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A straight eye at the "slit" top--- genius! I love that tip!!

    DD's gorgeous in her 2011 Easter dress! Good job, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely - your daughter & the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very elegant dress in an absolutely WOW colour! I really like your tip to use an eye to reduce any stress on the split too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up that pattern a few weeks ago. You made yours Easter perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's very pretty. The collar and bow are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so beautiful and looks 100 times better then the pattern shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter looks lovely in her Easter Dress. It is a great color and style for her. And the inside of the garment looks as good as the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this dress on your daughter. Beautiful style and color and the fit is perfect. One can tell that she loves it. I love dupioni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! I love the color your daughter chose and you sewed the dress flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty dress and so perfect for Easter! Your daughter looks very lovely in it. That vibrant shade of blue is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress looks great on your daughter and the color is 2df

    ReplyDelete
  16. An absolutely beautiful dress! Lucky daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect Easter dress! I love the collar and bow. And thank you for the tip about the eye above the slit, I'd never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to say how nice it was to finally meet you, I will give you a call the next time I'm in Chi-town.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin