Tuesday, January 20, 2015

In Review: Rhonda's Raised Waist Skirt with a Back Flounce

Good morning dear friends!

Today's review is on the "Raised Waist Skirt with a Back Flounce" that Rhonda taught us how to draft in November. I actually made this skirt in December. The only thing it needed was a hem. Saturday I was determined to finish at least one of the many UFO's hanging on the closet door. This was the first of two finished that evening.



I'd planned to wear this during the holiday season. Plaid is always in. This is the second of three plaid garments to make for fall/winter 2014. The first, a coat, is still in the works. More on that later.

This skirt is clearly described by it's title. It has a raised waist with two back flounces. The waist is secured and finished with a zipper and facing. The invisible zipper is on the left side back. I used Butterick 5147-E to copy the basic straight skirt design.  Rhonda's instructions are clear and easy to follow. It didn't take a long time to create a new pattern.  The fabric used is from Hancock's. It's a medium weight poly/cotton blend. I pre-washed and pressed it before cutting out the skirt.




I like the idea of added a little flare to conservative, classic plaid. This was also a great opportunity to practice pattern drafting. I didn't make a muslin. I thought it would be easy it fit using a simple straight skirt pattern.  After I put the skirt together and tried it on, I didn't like it as a raised waist skirt. So I simply cut the extended waist and finished it with petersham ribbon. I also changed the location of the zipper, placing it at center back. Note: Before I attached the flounces to the skirt, I finished each with a narrow hem.


I didn't have a new blouse to model with the skirt.  I decided to pair it with my old stretch velvet mock wrap top. I really wanted to match it up with a button down blouse. I tried shopping for one last week. The picking were slim; color and styles. Are they not in style anymore? Something else to add to my long list of things to make.

I really like how my version of this skirt turned out. My DD has asked for one too. So, I'll at least make it one more time. This is a good drafting project to try. Starting with a simple straight skirt pattern, it's easy. It is a winner and turns ordinary conservative plaid fabric into a contemporary sassy little flare skirt that I will certainly enjoy wearing.

Happy Sewing, kittens! Thanks Rhonda for showing us how to draft it!
C

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you make it work so well! Sassy looking and fun, it's a great winter skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice, I love it. I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful skirt! I've been wanting one of these ever since I saw the instructions - sadly, it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this back flounce and I've been meaning to come up with some interesting ideas on my TNT pattern! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the plaid. I kept telling myself all holiday season that I would whip up something festive in plaid. Well.. maybe I'll get around to it for Holiday season 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natisha. I like plaid too. A lot. I think it would be great to wear in the winter and fall. There are some plaids that are good for summer as
      well. Try it I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  6. Those flounces certainly take a plaid skirt 'up a notch'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so, so cute! You look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly love this skirt!! The back flounce adds a little something, something to this. Your boots look perfect with this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this skirt and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable!!! I love the shorter length too :) You sexy girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great skirt. Love how you are wearing it with the boots.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin