Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Easy Staple Vogue 8477 - Another UFO Completed





This is another UFO that has been lurking in the sewing room.  Over the weekend I felt so accomplished when I finished this top and Vogue 8251.  Both have been in a bag in a box for several months.  Part of my sewing goals this summer and fall is to reduced the number of UFO's waiting for me in the sewing room.

Vogues 8477 is surely a wardrobe staple.  You can literally have a dozen of these mock wrap tops.  It's not recommended for the inverted triangle figure, but I beg to differ.  It's a good look for me.  And I plan to make more.




Vogue describes this pattern as Misses' top:  semi-fitted pullover tops have mock wrap fronts and banded neckline.  A, B: short, banded sleeves.  B: contrast neck and sleeve bands.  C: three-quarter length sleeves.

For starters I made view C out of a beefy four way stretch knit from JoAnn's.  This top is perfect for the cool summer days, which we are known to have in Chicagoland area.  No doubt I will wear it fall  and winter seasons.  The pattern comes in sizes 6 to 22.  I used size 14 with modifications.

I really like the mock wrap style and the banded neckline and sleeves.  The instructions are exactly as the pattern indicates Very Easy Vogue.  All level sewists can make this top with no problems.   And the drawing is spot on for the style and look of the top. 

My likes:

  • Mock wrap front
  • gathered neckline
  • Side shaping
  • Banded neck and sleeve options

I made my usual pattern adjustments:

  • FBA - The adjustments increases the width from the bust to the hem.  You may need to make adjustments below the bust.  For this version I didn't, but will decrease the width for future versions.
  • Swayback - I added a center back seams as well.  Also added the amount of the swayback horizonal tuck to the bottom of the back top pattern
  • Slight prominent shoulder blade



I will probably make a few more of these in the coming months.  Overall, I like this staple top a lot.  And I recommend it to others if you have it.  This is another one that is out of print.  The copyright is 2006.

Happy Sewing!
C




18 comments:

  1. Lovely top! And congratulations for getting a UFO done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you showed your pattern adjustments. And you are correct, the top looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you to tackle those UFO's! I've got a couple of mine calling to me as well. I love this top on you- it's so flattering! Thanks for sharing your alterations with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thank you, Ann. Join the "party". I want to finish as many as I can during these summer months.

      Delete
  4. I agree -wardrobe staple. looks great on you and thanks for showing your pattern alterations

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the top and the kitchen. Did you remodel your kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, badmomgoodmom. I moved into a new home.

      Delete
  6. Cute top and I agree that it suits you just fine! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good on you - and I can't understand why this is considered not right for an inverted triangle - the v crossing the bust is perfect for this shape. Glad you are settled down and back sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cenetta, I lost your blog for a while and I glad to have found my way again. Great top. I love tops like this for the many ways in which they can be worn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are just cleaning out these UFOs and getting them on your body! May I ask why this was a UFO? It fits you so well that it wasn't a fitting issue was it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your top! Recognize the fabric, because I bought several yards of it a couple of years ago! Ended up making a raglan t-shirt out of it. Your top is much nicer! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have several UFOs. I'm glad you got this done - it looks great on you. And your home is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Cennetta! I love the fabric and your great fit! I'm hoping to get a few more UFOs complete before the end of the month too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin