Monday, January 9, 2017

Notes on a Pattern: Vogue 9128


For the most part I don't like to purchase patterns that only provide a drawing of the garment.  I like to see it actually made and shown on a person.  But I thought this one was cute, and I wanted to give it a try.


What I like about it are the flounce hemline and the princess seam.  For the peri-crafters' first January challenge, I chose this top to make.  My first step was to make the pattern fit adjustments starting with a full bust adjustment (FBA).  Typically with knits I don't make the full adjustment as the knit does have some stretch.  This pattern calls for moderate stretch fabric.  My fabric has about 40 percent stretch.  When I make a FBA on a princess garment, I always have excess fabric below the bust through the hemline.    So with this top I knew I will need to eliminate the excess fabric along the sides of the top.  The amount depends on the stretch of the fabric, which I determine after sewing the front and back together at the shoulders.


I did not make any back or shoulder adjustments.  One thing I'd like to point out is the length of the shoulder seam is too long.  I believe this is something that is common in the big four pattern companies.    For me the shoulder seam is about 1/2" too long.  So I just trim that off.  Finally, I lengthen the sleeve about an inch.

The construction was simple and typical.  There is nothing confusing on the guide sheet.  I attached the neckband before sewing the side seams.  Also, I used a twin needle to finished the hem on the sleeve and the flounce.

This was a very easy sewing project.  The top goes together quickly.  I can see a few more of these in my closet.

No pictures of me wearing the top.  I hope to take some soon.

Happy Sewing!
C

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous top Cennetta. Love the Fallish print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I can't wait to see you wearing it. The fabric is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin