Thursday, May 3, 2018

2018 Tops That Pop - Faye's Top Sew-A-Long




Last month, I decided to participate in Faye's Top Sew-A-Long again.  This is the second time around for me.  The idea it to inspire and motivate people to sew.  It's always fun to see what others are making.



For this sew-a-long I made Butterick 3521.  I've made view A three times before.  The last times was in 2010 for my sister.  It's pretty easy to sew.  You can read about that review here.


For this version notice that I made the sleeves super long with elastic band at the 3/4 length placement.  Then I added a lower sleeve that has elastic at the hem.  The fabric was not wide enough to cut the full length of the sleeve.  So I had to be creative.  Wanting to create some type of floaty fullness at the wrist, I added another section about 5" longer than my arm's length.  Later, I'll post a photo of me wearing it.

The finishing hems at the neckline and lower edge of the top I did a small zig zag stitch.  I haven't done that in a very long time.  The fabric is very stretchy and it crawls as you try to sew it.  So I used so fusible web, stitch witchery 1/4" width to help control it.  Often I use this technique with hemming knit.  I forgot to mention it.

Outside of the above change, I top was sewn as indicated in the guidelines (oh yes, no slit in the sleeves.).  Looking at the other views, I'm thinking of trying them soon.

That's all for now!

Happy Sewing!
C

4 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin