Thursday, August 16, 2007
Buttrick 4916 Skirt & Burda 6458 Blouse
I made this for a friend. She/her husband occasionally comissions me to do garment sewing. This 2pcs gown was worn to an white tie event in the Spring.
Pattern Sizing: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 (blouse)
Pattern Sizing: Combinations: BB(8-10-12-14), FF(16-18-20-22) MULTI-SIZED FOR CUSTOM FIT (skirt)
Fabric Used: polyester satin and lining purchased from JoAnn's Fabrics.
There was nothing confusing about the pattern instructions, typical for blouse and skirt construction.
Personally I like the styling of the collar and the wrap affect of the blouse. My client's husband selected the skirt pattern.
I made a few alteration and design changes.
- Omitted the slit in the sleeve.
- I noticed the sleeves wear snug on the model. So I measured the circumstance of my client's arm and the sleeve pattern piece. I had to alter the sleeve for a comfortable fit. Here's how: I slashed the sleeve along the lengthwise grain, inserted pattern drafting paper under it. Then spreaded the amount needed. Next I folded the pattern so that it would lay flat. Then I pinned the sleeve pattern to the paper to secure it. Finally, I redraw the sleeve with added adjustments of cap.
- Underlined the front and back bodice pieces to eliminate "the see through" affect of the satin fabric.
- To add some pop to the neckline, I purchased a black lacey/satiny floral trim from Vogue Fabrics. I cut the individual flowers apart and applied fray check around the parameter of each. Then I arranged them on the collar of the blouse.
- I used a invisible zipper, love not being able to see wear the garment fastens. It creates a more polished look.
- Added 3" to the length of the skirt. The client is tall.
- Lined the skirt.
- I added a godet to the center back of the skirt in a black satin same as the white fabric and added a lacy/satiny flower just above the point of the godet.
This skirt combined with a variety of evening tops/jackets will create a classic style. I enjoyed sewing this garment. It was fun to make and I had good results.