Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Prom - Accessories



For every prom dress that I make for someone I also make a garter, purse, and some type of coverup (stole, shawl, or jacket). Over the years I've purchased several accessory patterns that include complimentary views to special occasion wear. This year I kind of took the easy route, using the same purse pattern (M4679) for all three outfits made. The stole pattern(M3880)for my niece is now out of print, but I do recommend that you try it. There are a few views from this pattern that I will use again and again. This was the second time that I used the stole view.

A few weeks agoKat of Phat Chick Designs made a beautiful stole for her DD. It's similar to the McCall's pattern. The differences are the shape at one end of it and how the slit is made to join the two ends. I really like the bound buttonhole slit of Kat's version. I will use that technique for future versions of the stole. My sister has already requested a black one to add to her wardrobe.

The purse that I made for each lady was specially made to match the outfit as I used scraps from the dress.



I started including garters and purses with the prom/graduation assembles about 15 years ago. Many of the clients complained that the garters in the stores were ugly or cheap looking. That prompted me to make some from the fashion fabric on the dress or grosgrain ribbon. Garters are simple to make taking about 45 minutes to complete. All you need is about a yard and half of ribbon/fashion, some elastic, thread, and some type of decorations.

My niece's garter



DD's garter




My reviews of the purses and stole are on Patternreview.

I would like to give a BIG thanks to Omega and Opal for nominating me for the Attitude of Gratitude Award.

Happy Sewing!
C

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful, all of it. I made a matching purse for my daughter as well, it's a wonderful finishing touch. Cennetta, I am probably out of touch, but is a garter something that is customary for a prom dress? I've never seen that before. I thought they were only for weddings. Please don't laugh... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same question as Kimberlee, I've only ever heard of having a garter for a wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm dated myself or maybe this is a "Chicago" thing. It's customary for prom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice touch - adding the garter or purse! I just made simple shawl when I make prom gowns for my daughter. I never heard of a garter for a prom either. And I'm pretty old, so don't worry about dating yourself! LOL! It must be a "Chicago" thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift you've given these girls! We don't have proms in Australia, so things like this are a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the stole, I wish I could get my hands on that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The accessories are beautiful The purse is just so cute! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice touches, those accessories! I have that stole pattern, though never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it all, the purse is so cute, the shawl is beautiful and the dress is awesome! WOW! I know she's pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are lucky girls. What a super mother and aunt you are this is lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I was missing something when I read about the garters. I only familiar with them for weddings too! It's funny how diffent states/ regions do things differently. My husband is from Chicago and as I read your post, I'm picturing a prom picture that I saw of his sister with a garter on. I didn't think much of it at the time. Anyway, that is so great that you give them the 3 accessories along with their dress. I love the shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Cennetta, I see the garters are a regional thing. I want to see pics of the girls in their dresses. I know you are probably too busy now, but please share when you get some. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting on this and other posts on my blog.

    Kimberlee - The pictures are coming soon. I was trying to wait for the event photos. I have a few of them wearing the outfit. My older niece went on prom Friday. I was only able to get a few shots, posted on flickr.com. The house was over run with family and friends. I've writtent the review on my other nieces outfit, posted on Patternreview.com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything came out soooo beautiful....I absolutely love the fabric and color....All I have too say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cennetta,

    These are beautiful accessories! A garter for a prom dress? I didn't know that. Like Kim, I always thought they were only for weddings. Thank you so much for the Attitude of Gratitude Award! How thoughtful of you. There are definitely people in my life (sewing and non-sewing) that definitely deserve this award.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin