Thursday, December 6, 2012

Copying That Trendy Sweater using Vogue 8151


Like most of us, my "project-to-make" list is way out of control. There are at least two large bags of things already cut and ready to sew.  Then there are things half sewn that are hanging in one of my closets.  And then there is a basket of patterns that I hope to make this season.  That's not all.  This year I became a "pinner" on Pinterest.  Need I say more.  Anyway, I pinned this O'2nd Color Blocked Turtleneck Sweater  a few weeks ago with the intention of making it before the color block trend disappears.  Vogue 8151 View-B basic t-shirt knit pattern has handy (in the basket) so I used it to draft a new pattern for the inspiration top.



First I traced the pattern onto the drafting paper that I use to copying and alter patterns.  I didn't make a FBA.  I went up a size.   I'm also thinking about eliminating the bust darts.  The new pattern is princess seam, which creates more opportunities to make adjustments in the bust area.  I'll see how it goes with fitting a muslin.  Above, I drew the cutting lines to create the blocked areas of the sweater.


Next I cut along the color block design lines.   When I cut the fabric, the seam allowances along the new cutting lines.   


Here's the new pattern pictured (front and back) with the inspiration top.

Stay Tuned. Caution -  Multiple projects in progress. 
    
Happy Sewing!
C
                                                     




13 comments:

  1. I love this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colorblock trend can not end. I have too many scraps in my 'zero-waste' bin to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First your Pinterest Board is fascinating, so many interesting garments! Second, this is going to be one cool top. Have you chosen fabrics yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inspiration sweater is fierce! Can't wait to see your version:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone.
    Carolyn - I have several knit remnants that I plan to this to prototype the top. I want something burnt orange, beige and black or tomato red, plum, and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wouldn't be trying to tempt a sister would you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this version of colorblocking and I'm impressed that you're getting it done while it's still a hot style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh. The draft looks promising. Now to wait for your trio of colour:)
    I have loads of grey, black and red pieces waiting for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for commenting on this post. Faye - Oh yes I am trying to tempt you. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exciting project. Can't wait to see the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very interested in how this turns out. I loved your comment about the out of control to make list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin