Monday, April 7, 2014

Vacay Wardrobe Reviews Continue with McCall 6841 and Butterick 5893


Hello,

Today's post is another vacation outfit.  I wanted the colors to be bright and festive. Tangerine, marine blue, tomato read, earthy brown and tan are all color in my pallet.


All of my pattern choices were quick and easy partly because of the limited time I had to make the wardrobe.  I also wanted to make things that traveled well.  I did  not want to worry about pressing clothes before I could wear them.  So several pieces wear made of knit fabrics. 

So let me tell you about my second vacation outfit:  Draped top refashioned into a draped cardigan M6841 and elasticized pants B5893.

McCall 6841 in review:

Pattern Description: MISSES' TOPS: Loose-fitting, pullover tops that have draped front, and back collar. Wrong side may show. A: self-lined back and very narrow hem for front hemline. B and C: front pleated drape and narrow hem.
I started off with making view B.

Pattern Sizing:  SX - XXL.  I used size M.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  No.  After I completed the top, I didn't like how it looked on me.  I remembered Audrey's review on this top and followed her lead of refashioning it.



Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. No difficulty or confusion with the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I liked the drape and hoped it would work with my body type.  I didn't have any dislikes until after I tried it on.  It didn't look the way I had hoped.

Fabric Used:  Polyester jersey from my local Hancock.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Absolutely no alterations to address fit issues.  I sewed it straight out of the envelope.  In the end I cut the drape down the center front.  Then finished the center front edge the same as the neckline.  So instead of a draped neck top I ended up with a waterfall cardigan.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I probably will not sew it again.  I have so many other patterns to sew.  I do recommend it to others.  I like how this top/cardigan is constructed.  The back is double, which creates some body and weight to the garment.  The seam finishing for the armhole requires binding of the same fabric.  These are nice touches to the top/cardigan.

Conclusion: This is a nice addition to my vacation wardrobe.  I can also incorporate it into my summer weekend gear pairing it with a t-shirt dress or with a tank top and slim pants.  Perfect for the weekend.


Butterick 5893 in review:


Pattern Description: MISSES' SHORTS AND PANTS: Loose-fitting shorts or pants with elasticized waistband, pocket variations and narrow hem. A and B: straight-legged, cut on crosswise grain. C: side slits. C and D: flared.  I made view B.

Pattern Sizing: XS to XXL.  I used size medium with modifications.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No, only because of the changes I made to the pants.  I wanted elasticized legs too.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I really didn't use them.  I constructed the pants much like you would construct pajama pants with elastic at the waist and used the same technique for the leg.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked that this pattern was easy and I could get a quick pair of pants out of it in less than two hours. 

Fabric Used: I purchased a colorful polyester print from my local Hancock store.  It was a perfect match for the draped top/cardigan that I made to go with it.  The fabric was light and airy, so I wouldn't be too hot and the pants would help keep the mosquitoes away from my legs.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I only made a few changes:  
  • lengthened them by 4 inches
  • tapered the width of the legs a bit.
  • added elastic to the hem 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, This pattern could double for pajama pants and could be used as originally designed.

Conclusion: Quick and easy is what I was going for and this pattern was perfect.  The pattern sews up very quickly.  It's a great pattern for beginners and you can use it to create some funky colorful vacation pants as I did.

3 comments:

  1. I think you had the perfect island wardrobe. I bet you turned heads everywhere you went :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and so perfect for the summer. I need to make a couple of these to wear with my Maxi dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are really fabulous on you! I think that the pants are fun and great for vacation and this summer. Wonderful, easy to wear and pack island wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin