Today, I am reviewing Simplicity 1650. This was released last year. I few sewists/stylists have already created some snazzy little dresses using this pattern. I finished this outfit a few weeks ago, but needed a few more pictures before reviewing it.
To get a little more mileage out of this outfit, I decided to make a top and skirt. Each garment can be worn with other separates.
Simplicity describes this pattern as: Misses', miss petite shift dress in below or above knee length with back zipper and back vent has scoop neckline with optional notch detail, flared or pleated peplum and sleeve variations. Croquis Kit™ included with each Project Runway pattern allows you to be your own designer. I used the scoop neck bodice with the gathered cap sleeves and the flared peplum. For the skirt I used the shorter version tapering from the hips to the hemline and used the facing from a similar skirt to finish the waistline.
It is available in sizes 4 to 22. I used sizes 14 and 16 with modifications.
My coordinates looked similar to the illustrations, but were two separate garments in contrasting fabrics. The instructions were not difficult to follow and should not pose any problems for a beginner.
I like the versatility of the project runway patterns. This one gives options to mix and match various tops and bottom to create a dress to your liking. You also have the option of creating separates as I did for this outfit. On style: I like having two peplum options. These pieces can be used with other dress, top, or skirt patterns. There is nothing to dislike.
I used remnants from this dress and this jacket. Both fabrics are stretch woven. The black with white cherries is a cotton sateen blend and the white is a pique blend.
Of course, I made changes for fit and style preference;
- Fit - The usual: FBA, swayback, prominent shoulder blades, a few inches to the length of the skirt.
- Style - The skirt was a little too wide for my taste. I tapered in a bit below the hips to the hem. I installed an exposed zipper in the top.
- Construction - Because I made two separate garments, I needed to finish the skirt with a facing (used a facing from another pattern). I did not use bias tape to finish the armholes or a rolled hem on the facing; I just serged all edges.
I plan to use the bodice A and the peplums in future projects. I hope the peplum stays on trend for a while. I helps create a balance between my torso and hip areas. I do recommend this patter to others. It was a lot of style options and is easy to sew.
All pictures are here.