Sunday, September 27, 2015

Vogue 1314 - Third Time's The Charm




At last, happiness with Vogue 1314!

They say the third time's the charm.  Yes, Vogue 1314 finally worked for me.

Remember, in my previous post, I talked about how the ruching did not work for me, and how the fabric of the second dress does not work for anyone.

I found a interesting print knit textile at JoAnn's Fabric that was perfect for how I wanted to interpret this Tracy Reese Vogue pattern.


Here's my review:


Pattern Description: MISSES' DRESS- Pullover, close-fitting, lined dress has draped sides and narrow hem.

Pattern Sizing:  6 - 22; I used size 14 with modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, except for the ruching.  I omitted that.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions are super easy. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 

Likes:
  • Simple, slim t-shirt style dress with lining - optional in my mind. (The photo staging makes it look more appealing than the average.  But there are several dress pattern that will yield the same results.)
  • Easy to sew.  You can make this dress in a few hours after you get the fit down pat.
  • Neckband for the facing.  I simply love the finishing of many Vogue patterns.
Dislike:

  • I was not pleased with the ruching.

Fabric Used:  I found this fall knit at JoAnn's Fabrics.  Trust me, you can find some nice apparel fabrics at JoAnn's.  The print and texture added interest to this simple dress, much like the one on the model.



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made several changes before coming to the final, desirable finished dress.  They are:
  • FBA - I only did half of what I would do in a woven.
  • I used the lining pattern for the dress.
  • Did not line the dress.
  • Added 1" to the sleeve length; I could have added 2.  Next time.
  • Removed about 1/2 from the sleeve cap. 
  • Added 3" to the length of the dress
  • Added a center back seam and did a sway back tuck across the lower back.  It just fits better when I combine the two adjustments for a sway back adjustment.
  • raised the center back neckline about 1/2".
  • Cut the neckband, facing two inches shorter than recommended for size 14.  I noticed some gaping on the orange version.
  • Below the bust to the hem of the dress, I sewed the seam allowance at 1 1/4".  Then I trimmed the allowance to 5/8".

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I plan to use this pattern as a sloper.  There are many options for this simple dress:  sleeve and neckline variations, adding a flounce to the hemline, etc.

I do recommend it to others.  If you have not tried it yet, make sure you make a muslin first to determine if the ruching is right for you.  If you decide to use a textured fabric, think about how it will stretch around the various area of the body.  Does it maintain the textured look?  Does it wrinkle when it is not stretched?

Conclusion:  I'm so happy that I came up with a great little simple knit dress that will offer several design options.

18 comments:

  1. Very nice! You've proven that old saying, "the best comes to those who wait"! Hanging in there with this pattern was definitely rewarding for you because you now have a great little dress and a TNT pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choice of fabric was perfect for the pattern. Great information about the fit and pattern alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking dress! Third time does seem like the perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent alterations become a great dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Third time IS the charm. Very nice. I've been thinking about getting this pattern...you may have convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks perfect what a fantastic dress for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made a couple dresses from the lining of that pattern. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You persevered and now you have a beautiful dress. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your success with the pattern. Very nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Thats one of my favorite patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress and love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've certainly made the case for persevering. You look wonderful in this gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That ruching cannot be working for many people - I love your version of the pattern; it looks stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous! I'm so glad you got the fit sorted-- this will be such a versatile pattern for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress looks really good on you. Wow, you had to do a lot of adjustments. This should be your basic t-shirt pattern and knit sloper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. This is my t-shirt dress sloper.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin