Friday, July 7, 2017

Bold Floral Are Always In Order - New Look 6184





There is nothing like a bold floral print.  Perfect complement to a fit and flare silhouette.  Summer time is a great time to show off a pretty floral dress.  In summer I want to look my best and be as comfortable as possible.   I really appreciate a cotton dress during this time of year.  Chicago and the surrounding areas are hot and steamy.

This is the first dress I finished this month.  I started on it about two weeks ago.  But did not hem it until Saturday night.    

I couldn't make up my mind on how long to make it.  So I cut the skirt tea length so I would have the options of keeping it long or making it shorter.  The skirt is self drafted if you want to call it that.  With the fabric being 60 inches wide, I just cut two rectangles the desired length.  Then cut one in half ( 2 back skirts) and used the other piece for the front skirt.  The skirt was gathered to fit the waist of the bodice.


Last year, I had planned to make a few dresses using New Look 6184, but I never got around to it.  So this year, it became a high priority to at least get one dress made using this pattern.  The C view of the bodice was already fitted.  So I was able to go right to cutting out the dress.




My fit changes:
  • FBA, with the new bust dart rotated into the neckline pleats.
  • Lengthen by 1" (front and back)
  • Sway back Adjustment
  • Prominent shoulder adjustment with a dart added to the neckline. 
I would described this dress as a fitted bodice with pleats at the neckline.  There are two skirt variations: one A-line and the other straight with two belt variations.



It comes in sizes 8 to 18.  I used size 14 with the list modifications above. Nothing difficult about the instructions or the sewing construction. 

Instead of using the neck facings, I lined the entire dress with a yellow broadcloth from JoAnn's.  To reduce bulk along the waistline, I used the A-line skirt for the lining.  With the lining, the dress has more body causing the skirt to fall a little further away from the body.  It also makes it opaque.   So no slip needed. The stretch floral cotton is from Vogue Fabrics. It is lightweight and has a smooth hand.  The only other change made was that  I used an invisible zipper instead of a regular one. 

I like the fit and flare style of this dress.  I love this silhouette in the summer especially.  The square neckline of view C is also appealing.  So, I think I may use this pattern one more time this summer with the slim skirt. 

This pattern offers nice options for spring/summer dresses and I recommend it to others.  The construction is easy.  The dress comes together quickly with any problems.

Happy Sewing!
C




36 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! You are the picture of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I hope bold florals never never go out of style! This is a great vintage looking dress (love the neckline pleats), and your bag is the perfect accessory! What a great shape it has, and the fringe is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I really like some vintage style dresses. And as for the purse. My sister gave it to me. You can imagine how happy I was.

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty and summery...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took my breath away! Absolutely stunning and I love the tea length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I love the team length too. Funny thing is I don't have many dresses that length.

      Delete
  5. The dress is beautiful and so summery, but that bag is so amazing. Wherever did you find it? Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. My sister gave me the handbag. Sorry I don't know where she got it.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Just love the fresh, vibrant colours in your dress. Very nice work indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I hope to get a lot of wear out of it.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic colors and amazing dress on you! Always admire all of your creations. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric...sadly I cannot find it on Vogue website anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, for the compliment and your continued visits to my blog. I bought this fabric at the Evanston store. I didn't know if they sold it online.

      Delete
  9. So pretty. You look cool and comfortable. Love the colors and scale of the floral print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey. Me too. At first I thought the size of the flowers was too much. Then I thought large is okay because I'm a tall lady.

      Delete
  10. We never have enough of florals. I always learn so much with your fitting adjustments photos. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is Run DMC! (Fresh) LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Ms. Carol. You are funny. Thanks, home girl.

      Delete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous! It's perfect for you.

    RAinNC

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful dress! Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH yes! I love this dress on you. Love, Love floral prints. The colors are so pretty and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the floral prints, and the vintage influence of the dress style. It is stunning! I have a red and white linen floral in my fabric stash. You have inspired me to make a nice summer dress too. I should hurry, it is already July!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually have this pattern. Wow! You did such an amazing job. The fabric you used goes so well with the pattern. You look beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is beautiful. I haven't said that about a dress in years, but that one is beautiful. Makes me want to make one like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely a very pretty dress on you! Love your fabric selection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. what excellent fit. Looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin