Monday, December 7, 2020

Simple Turtleneck top with a twist - S8750







 

I'm finally sharing this turtleneck top on my blog.  It has been a challenge for me to synchronize my Instagram posts with my blog posts.  I need to work on that. Lol  This top was completed early November.  Today, I want to share how I made the full bust adjustment for it.  This is my wearable muslin which I've ready worn a few times.  I do plan to make a few more during the winter season.

This pattern is part of the Simplicity Mimi G S8750 pattern.  My description: a turtleneck with one yoke shoulder and gathered upper chest.  That sound weird but I'm going to go with it.  Simplicity's description is just "knit top." It's is available in sizes 6 to 24.  I used 14 with modifications starting with grading it up a bit.

It looks like the drawing, and the instruction were typical.  Nothing confusing about them.  Pretty straight forward.



What I like about it is the gathers and the front yoke.  Everything else typical turtleneck design.  Nothing to dislike.  This is a simple staple knit top with a little something extra.

The fabric used is a cotton blend.  It was gifted to me.  A perfect textile to test my adjustments.


PLEASE NOTE - I made an adjustment right below the dart because I initially made the dart too low. So I cut a box around the dart and moved it up.




Usually, the first thing I like to address is the full bust adjustment.  For this top the front is drafted as the full front with the exception of the yoke.  Each side of the pattern requires a different FBA.  So, I cut it along the center front.  Then, I adjusted the left side.  The FBA created a dart. This was done by simply making a basic FBA.  Next, I slashed through the gather section on the right side from top to bottom  spreading it about 1.5 inches.   I used the right side to determine the amount of length to add.  Once both sides were adjusted, I taped them back together.  I had to true up the front with the back.  This was not done until the top was tried on and ready for hemming.  Next, the back adjustments. I added a center back seam and made a swayback adjustment. The final adjustment was to add a few inches to the sleeve. 

I used a twin needle to finish the hem.


Really basic and easy project.  I will get a lot of wear out of this top in the coming months.  I hope to make a few more.  I recommend this turtleneck to all level sewists. It's a great staple and good for layering during the colder months.

This is the third piece completed for my blue and red wardrobe capsule.  I was hoping to post about the vogue jacket, but I ran into a little hemming problem with it.  So, I'm still taking a break from it.  Hopefully, I'll work on it soon.

Anyway, this is a great staple to beef up your wardrobe.  It's an easy sew.  I made this top a little over an hour.  Try it.


Happy Sewing!

C




9 comments:

  1. That top is so nice!!! I like a pattern with an interesting detail and didn't notice that one when it was released. Might have to try it. Lovely shade of red. looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I'm going to make a few more this season.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful top, great fit! I hope you enjoy wearing it this unusual holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous top, Cenetta. Like you, I live in a very cold climate and for winter turtlenecks are a must have, whether we like them or not. This one is beautiful with that lovely detail. I have to say I am a huge fan of Mimi G's but somehow I missed this one. I will definitely buy this pattern and make it for my winter wardrobe. Such a lovely staple and the red is wonderful on you. I would be lost without your excellent tutorial on the dual FBAs. It fits beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bunny. You are always so kind. Yes, turtlenecks are in order. The Midwest is already feeling the Canadian winds and snow. I'll need a few more of these. And Yes, Mimi G has some great patterns. I'm starting to explore her set and figure out which fit my wardrobe. Thank you again, C

      Delete
  4. I love the gathering on the shoulder, and that red looks great on you! This is a really wonderful top.

    If I don't get back to commenting before then, I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas, and blessings to your family for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marji, The gathering is my favorite part. Thanks for commenting and stopping by. I'm wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas as well. Be safe. ;-)

      Delete
  5. This came out niiiiice, and you look great in that color. But, darn you, now my pattern wish list just got longer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You'll see more on my blog soon. ;-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin