Thursday, December 29, 2011
Adding a Little Shine with Simplicity 2149
This is the season for adding a little sparkle and shine to your wardrobe. So I paired Simplicity 2149 with some semi-shiny, striped fabric to create a festive jacket for my daughter.
Her work uniform (Macy's) is black attire. She wanted something festive to wear on Christmas Eve, which is a big work day for her. This jacket was perfect. The sparkle in the trim and the shiny fabric add a bit of pizazz to a what could be considered a boring black work uniform.
I made a combination of View D and E. A misses' jacket with 3/4 length sleeve Princess style front with pocket flaps and trim. My jacket pretty much follows the design line for view D with the trim of view E.
This pattern comes in sizes 6 to 22 and includes separate pattern pieces for A, B, C, and D cup sizes. I like this pattern because of the sleeve variation. And it can be used to make an overcoat (views A & B with collar). My daughter likes those views as well. My only dislike with the pattern is that the jacket/coats are unlined.
The fabric came from Vogue Fabrics. It's polyester. I struggled to get a deceit press on this jacket. A visit to the dry cleaners will remove the remaining stubborn wrinkles.
The instructions were typical for sewing this type of jacket. I didn't encounter any problems with them.
There are only a few alterations and design changes. Typically, I make a pigeon chest and sway back adjustments for my daughter. This time I skipped them. The front is cut size 12 and the back size 10 across the upper back. When joining the front and back pieces, I trued up the seams as needed. At the mid to lower back area I adjusted seam allowances where needed. Basically, I made the fitting adjustments as I sewed.
For the design changes: I omitted the buttons on the trim and the back tab. I also lined the jacket. To make the lining, I used pattern pieces for the shell omitting the front and back facings. I cut four of the front piece. Two for the jacket and two for the facing. Both facing pieces were interfaced. The lining was attached using the bag method. Interfacing the upper sleeve and back jacket would add stability to the entire neck area. I didn't think of that until I was finished with the jacket.
I will probably make this pattern one more time for my daughter. She wants view A. And I would recommend it to others sewists including beginners. If you are like me and prefer a lining that is easy to do. Just use the jacket pieces instead of the facings.
This is a fairly deceit pattern to sew. All levels should be able to make it with no problems. So, if this is your style, try it.