Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lovin' Vogue 1291

Vogue 1291 is a winner! When Vogue first released this pattern, I thought I would take a pass. When I saw BernieGee's top, I quickly changed my mind and added this to the top of my list.

This top is easy to make and very stylish. Don't pass it up. Everyone can wear this style, and you have so many fabric options, woven or knit.

Vogue describes this as a loose fitting, pullover top. A, B have bias neck band, front sleeve overlapping back sleeve forming shoulder opening, no shoulder seams and narrow hems. It's a Sandra Betzina top.

The sizes listed A through J, which is comparable to sizes 10 - 28. This cute top can be made in knit or woven fabric. If you decide to make it in a woven, select one size larger then normal and install a short zipper at the waist.



 My first version does look like the the photos on the pattern envelope, except I turned under the neck band and stitched it down.

The instructions were easy and provided a few helpful tips on how to construction using different fabrics. I have a few likes:
- It's stylish; unique silhouette
- Forgiving and easy to wear
- Sews up with no problems
- Can be easily made using woven or knit fabric
The above photo shows how it looks unzipped.

 One great top. No dislikes.

The fabric used is a rayon challis that I purchased at Vogue in Evanston while shopping with Carolyn.

 I made a few pattern adjustments. And I'm not sure how to explain the FBA. Initially, I made adjustments to the front sleeve and front. But when it came time to sew the front and back sleeve together, I realized I didn't add length to the circumstance of the back sleeve. So I ended up easing some of the length (front) into the back sleeve, I moved the seam about a inch past the circle, and the rest I trimmed off. It wasn't a hard fit, but I will adjust the back sleeve for the next woven top. The pictures of the adjustments can be found in my Flickr set.

I also made a small prominent shoulder blade adjustment. And I turned the neck band inside the neckline and stitch it down.

Next week I plan to make another top. This top is a excellent complement to contour waist bottoms as the hem of the top lays nicely about the upper hip.

 If you don't have this pattern already, I recommend you pick it up at the next JoAnn or Hancock pattern sale. It's worth it. This is a great top. I love, love it. You should try it!

 Happy Sewing!
C

24 comments:

  1. This pattern has intrigued me, and I've been curious how it would look. Yours is really pretty. I think I prefer the non-see-through fabric. Maybe I'll get brave and try this pattern out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether to be thrilled or annoyed with you that you've used that awesome piece of fabric already! However, the top is very cute on you so I guess I'll be understanding about it! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this pattern on my inspiration board but have since taken it down. I'm always a little leery of SB patterns since one that I tried long ago did not work out. Just can't get into understanding her sizing. Maybe the information you gave about sizing will help me. Yours is beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it! You look very summer-y in your ensemble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the other comments, very summery and i certainly overlooked this pattern. good choice for a lightweight, thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric and style, looks fabulous on you. You've convinced me I need this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top is beautiful and I might just have to add that one to my list. It's very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful summer top! You look so cool and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does look great on you, and so easy to wear as well. A great summer top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a cute top on you, and so easy to wear too! A great summer top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous, Cenetta. You look fabulous in your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like those batwing sleeves. And because the top is fitted at the waist/hip area, it doesn't turn into a muumuu. It looks terrific with those white pants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabric selection for this new top is stunning! Wow! You're glowing in it. Really good choices, from "A to J!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. The top looks great. I especially like your fabric choice. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great look for you, so summer chic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have this pattern cut out and the tiny hems done and have the sleeves on. I can't figure out how to put it together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks!

    Kuby - I need to look at the directions to make sure I correctly explain how I finished the sleeve and side seam. But if you have joined back side of the sleeve to the front seam, the next step is to join the lower sleeve (curve) and the side, starting at the small circle to the hem of the top.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kuby - The back sleeve (side) should be attached to the seam that joins the front and sleeve seam. Then with right sides together starting at the bottom of the top (hem) join the front and back (sides together up to the small circle and the finished hem of the front sleeve. You might have to do a bit of easing as to join the two seams.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look so very stylish! Great outfit. Perfect use for gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this top Cennetta! Especially the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin