Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Vogue 8799 - In Review



Yes, I'm trying to crank out as many 2013 reviews as I can before the new year begins. There are still at least a dozen projects that won't be reviewed before the new year. RATS! I've got to do better in 2014.

Here is Vogue 8799 in review.  

Pattern Description: MISSES' JACKET, TOP, DRESS, SKIRT AND PANTS: Loose-fitting, unlined jacket has collar, elastic back, and two-piece sleeves with elastic forming ruching effect/slit, and topstitching. Fitted top or dress has seam detail and back zipper. C: back slit. Semi-fitted skirt or straight-legged pants have self-lined yokes. D: pleated lower back. A, B, C and D: lined. B, C, D and E: stitched hems.  

Pattern Sizing: 6 to 22. I used size 16 with modifications. Views A and E.  

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Nothing confusing or difficult. I would say that is should be rated as average instead of easy. All views are lined except for the pants. The casing for the ruched sleeves and the elasticized waist of the jacket are done between the jacket and the lining. The dress and the top have extra seaming in the side front and side back panels that must line up at the side seams. Instructions are clear, but executing them is another story.  

What did you like or dislike about the pattern? This is another pattern I purchased for the jacket. I liked the ruching on the sleeves. Of course the princess seams make it easy to make adjustments. The curved waistband is always a welcomed plus. It fit nicely across the tummy area. I wish I had installed a zipper along the center front of the jacket. I find myself wanting to hold the front closed. The model is holding the front or moving one jacket front to the side. She is also wearing a belt in one of the photos. My dislike: center back zippers in pants. I installed it on the side.

Fabric Used: Polyester gabardine for the Textile Warehouse.  

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did a FBA. The waist of the jacket is elasticized; so I did not need to make a sway back adjustment. I didn't need to do a prominent shoulder blade adjustment. I started with size 16 and this jacket is kind of boxy across the back. I had plenty of room in the upper back area.  
I added about four inches to the length of the pants and about an inch to the length of the sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'd like to make the jacket in leather. Yes I do recommend it to others. It goes together with no problems. The only caution would be to take your time making the casing for the elastic in the sleeves. It's done after the sleeve and the lining is put together. So make sure your markings are clear.

 Conclusion: This is a nice wardrobe pattern. The jacket and the pants sew up with no problem. It's worth a try if you like to style.

15 comments:

  1. At least you sewed, obviously quite a lot. Weighing the two, sewing and blogging or sewing and not blogging?
    Sewing is obviously preferable.
    Have a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous pant suit. Looks great on you. I love the colour. Very nice and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice suit Cennetta,great fit and love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely suit, the color is very cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just WONDERFUL! I love the color too!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking suit. Your review gave me some ideas to note and to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post suit and Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wondered what the jacket in that pattern looked like made up! You did an amazing job on it. As far as the reviews go, do them when you get time. At least I just love reading about what you made, whenever you get a chance to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great suit! Thank you for sharing your sewing experiences. I want to wish you all the best for the New Year!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to see you posting again. I just love your blog, and want to say a very special thank-you for always showing the pictures of the pattern adjustments you make. Those generous photos have meant that a rather busty novice sewer has been able to learn a little about altering a pattern to fit, to grow in her sewing confidence and not despair about sewing garments for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, couture mum. I'm glad you enjoy my blog and find the alteration photos helpful.

      Delete
  11. This is a really beautiful suit, Cenetta. I love the cut and fit of the pants particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this suit and color on you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin