Friday, December 20, 2013

Comfy Top with McCall 6571


Today's review is on a knit top, McCall 6571. I considered waiting until I made the other views of this pattern, but decided to go ahead with this review as I have many more to do.


I guess you've noticed by now that I've made quite a few knit tops. One reason is I needed some new tops and other reason is I don't have a lot of time to sew. So the quick and easy projects are very appealing. This is another Palmer/Pletsch pattern with convenient adjustment lines drawn on the pattern. It makes it so easy to alter to fit.  

NOTE: Top pictured with Vogue 2948, Sandra Betzina pants, which I will view at a later date.  

Pattern Description:
MISSES' TOPS AND PANTS: Close-fitting, pullover tops have neckline variations, below elbow or long sleeves and narrow hems. Fitted, straight-legged or slightly flared pants have elastic waist and no side seams.  


Pattern Sizing:
Sizes from 6 to 22; I used 14 with modifications. Note of caution. The sizing of the top runs small. Typically, McCall knit top have a finished bust at 38". But this one finishes with 37". So you want to compensate for the difference when you do your FBA.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes. I think the drawing has a little more shaping at the waist than the actual pattern. But for the most part it looks like the photo and drawing.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, the instructions were easy and helpful. Typical Palmer/Pletsch instructions with helpful tips and fit information.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I purchased this pattern for the view I made, view A. I liked the shallow "V" neck t-shirt. My dislike is how the neckline is finished with front and back facings. I would have liked a narrow band to finish it. If you use a medium weight knit with moderate stretch, the facings are a little bulky.


Fabric Used:
I used a remnant from a previous project. The fabric was purchased at Vogue Fabrics several years ago. It's maroon and not in my color palette, but the color does work for me. ;-)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made my usually full bust, prominent shoulder blade, and swayback adjustments. For the swayback adjustment I also adding darts to the back. The horizontal tuck was not enough to bring the top closer to my lower back. Sorry the photos aren't that great. You can barely see the darts. Also, I used the long sleeves from view B, instead of the 3/4 length sleeves.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, this t-shirt is a great wardrobe builder. I also plan to make the other views. And yes I recommend this pattern. It's perfect for beginners. It will help new sewers perfecting their fit technique for a t-shirt and simple knit pants.

Conclusion:
This pattern is a great wardrobe builder. It is easy to sew and is great for beginners. This teaching pattern will help perfect alteration techniques for future projects. This is a keeper (TNT).

All photos are on Flickr.

9 comments:

  1. A comfy top that looks great too! Wishing you a happy Christmas Cennetta and thanks for sharing your sewing projects and techniques on your blog throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

      Delete
  2. This is a great look on you, and the color is beautiful also.

    I'm going to look for that pattern in hopes of building my alteration skills. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqueline. Good wit building your skills.

      Delete
  3. This is a great color on you. I am in the midst of making tops as well. It's an easy way to change up my wardrobe.
    Sorry you aren't sewing more; I miss your wonderful reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fit, Cenetta. Lovely color on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the simple design and your choice of color for this top!

    You look great!

    Merry Christmas, Cennetta!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin