Saturday, April 18, 2015

Navy Reptile Print Brocade - Simplicity 1803






Spring has sprung in Chi-town! I'm so glad the sun is shining and the flowers are starting to bloom.

I cannot believe an entire month has past since I last blogged. I'm happy to be back.

For spring, you would think that I would sew brighter colors to welcome the new season. But I couldn't resist this beautiful navy reptile print brocade. This fabric is lightweight and falls gracefully around the body. It is perfect for the dress I planned to make for my daughter. I purchased the fabric last fall; it's no longer available but Mood has a nice selection of brocades to choose from.



My daughter will attend a friend's wedding in Poland this summer. She asked for a new dress or two to take with her. This is the first dress made for that trip. It's been a while since a made what she calls a "princess" dress for her. So I thought is a good time to make a special dress. She will also model it in the upcoming Haute Couture Club of Chicago fashion show.



I chose Simplicity 1803. It is described as: Misses'  Miss Petite Dresses Project Runway Collection with bodice variations and tie belt. It comes in sizes 4 to 20. I used size 10 with quite a few modifications.

The bodice and skirt combination was the perfect foundation to add interest using a texture fabric, beads and tulle. The beads add a little sparkle to the bodice. They were randomly sewn to the lower shoulder area and the center front just above the bust area. I shorten the skirt by several inches and added lining and tulle to the skirt of the dress.  Aside from these changes the dress did look like the drawing on the envelope. I also made the usual fit adjustments: swayback and small FBA (instead of the usual pigeon chest adjustment).



The pattern instructions were typical, but nothing difficult or confusing about them. The dress came together very quickly with no problems. Labor came with adding the beads and the tulle underskirt.  My favorite figure about the pattern was this bodice view.   The added tulle gives the skirt an updated look.  I have no dislike about this project.

I can't say that I will use the pattern again. Because I have so many in my collection to try. This is a good pattern for intermediate beginners. I recommend it. As for the navy reptile brocade, I'm glad I have another 2.5 yards for a dress for me!  So give a fancy brocade a try.  You won't be disappointed.

Parting Shot: My DD is a happy lady! That's all for now.


31 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous. She'll be the best dressed wedding guest for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky DD! This is lovely - I'm sure she'll be happy to wear this everywhere she can. And how wonderful that she'll be able to model it for the Haute Couture Chicago show! Beautifully done -

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite patterns and it looks fantastic on her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Smith. I like this pattern a lot. It has several design options.

      Delete
  4. And she's a be.you.tiful lady, too. Who wouldn't feel "princessy" in a sweet dress such as this? What lovely results.

    Hugs and happy sewing,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.., Thank you Kelley. You are always so thoughtful.

      Delete
  5. I love it! It looks great and it fits beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I love the addition of the tulle and the beading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. I wanted to add some interest to the dress. The texture of the fabric was not enough. So I added more. And more is good. ;-)

      Delete
  7. She looks absolutely beautiful in the dress, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress and the beads were the perfect finishing touch. Your daughter is lovely and is obviously thrilled with her new dress! I miss seeing for my daughter. Maybe you could share a pic from the fashion show? I'm sure she will look gorgeous in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nursebennett. If I get any photos from the show, I will share them.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous dress!!! Your daughter is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress in the brocade! Your daughter looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. She is very happy with the dress. Me too. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Jilly, the princess seams are the best. They give the most opportunities for a better fit garment.

      Delete
  12. Your daughter would look amazing in anything I'm sure, but this is a very pretty dress, I love the colour and the neckline detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunning dress! Perfect for a stunning young lady

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin