Monday, August 8, 2016

Flower Power - Fancy Pants Review Long Over Due Simplicity 1617


 Taken August, 2014
S1617 in 2014

S1617 in 2014


Happy Monday everyone!

I spent part of my would be sewing day, recovering pictures and files.  One of my flash drives got corrupted.  Needless to say, the information could not be recovered.  So I had to review other flash drives and my cameras to recover some of my photos.  Good thing is most were backed up on other drives.  This is a lesson I should have learned long, long ago, but you know..,

So word to the wise backup everything, every time there is something new.  It's good to have an external hard drive like My Passport.  It's big enough to save tons of information and photos.

Okay enough on the recovery situation.  There are so many garments that I haven't reviewed over the past two years.  Today I decided to post a review for Simplicity 1617, view A.  I made these about two years ago.  These were part of my "fancy pants" collection here, here, and here.

When I first made these pants, the fit was snug; but now there is some extra room.  I noticed it immediately when I tried them on again.  In the two years I had never worn them.  They were supposed to be part of a vacation wardrobe.   But I didn't were them.   Anyway, here goes.

Taken July, 2016; worn with M6841, modified.






Pattern Description:  Simplicity describes this pattern as - Misses' easy to sew skirt in two lengths feature a shirt tail hem or loose fit pockets. Pants with wide waistband have optional pockets. Shorts fit below the waist with back center zip.

Pattern Sizing: 4-20; I used 14 with my usual modifications.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Pretty much.  I sewed the external pocket pouch to the pant leg.



Were the instructions easy to follow?  Typical and nothing difficult about them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was drawn to the pocket style.  As it turns out, I did not like it on me.  That's my only dislike, just a style preference.  Other than that, the pants are okay; a common style seen in many Simplicity patterns minus the pocket.

Fabric Used: Floral cotton print from Vogue, when Vogue was on Roosevelt Rd.  It is a medium cotton perfect for summer pants and full skirts.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I adjusted the curve a bit in the back waist band; added a few inches to the length; changed the curve of crotch a bit; and I sewed the pocket pouch to the pant leg.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Probably not.  I have hundreds of pants pattern to try.  This one is a common style with the exception of the pocket design.  After making them as instructed, I wasn't as interested in this design feature.  I could see myself making the skirt though.  It's cute.  If this is your style, it's worth a try.


Conclusion: This is a very simple pant pattern that can be made by all level sewists.  The only caution is the design of the pocket. It's not difficult to sew, but the pleat does add a little bulk.

Happy Sewing!
C  


10 comments:

  1. Pretty outfit and loving the red & brown mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I really like these and they are perfect for a vacation pant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I remember the fancy pants series. I have this pattern and hope to make a black pair and maybe a fancy pair as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to your blog, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. The pants are great, but I especially like the skirt that is included in the pattern. It just looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the pants look great on you! You have reminded me...I must do a backup sometime this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are effortlessly chic! I love these colors on you. So flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, her positive attitude reflects on her style. I like her fashion sense. I found this type of dresses in Boutiqueken. They also sell womens collar dress.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin