Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Practice, Practice, Practice - Bound Button Holes




"Practice makes perfect" is a well known buzz-phrase.  It's a phrase that I often use when describing how I intend to build my own skills and confidence.  For 2018 I decided to include "perfecting bound buttonholes".   The image above is my practice test using the coat fabric.  I chose the smaller version for the coat.

Finished Bound Buttonholes on the Coat


You might ask, "Don't you already know how to make them?"  My answer, "Yes, but each time I make them, I need practice like it was the very first time."  I've been working on my first coat of the year, Butterick     .  Instead of regular button holes, I made bound ones.  I'm 75 percent done with my coat and hope to reveal it soon.  But in the meantime, I wanted to share this small sewing goal with you.

On the Wrong Side of the Center Front Coat


There are several online tutorials that give you step-by-step instructions on how to make a bound buttonhole.  Below are a few with the Threads process being very close to how I made mine.  So here goes!

Threads tutorial 

Sewaholic tutorial 

LolitaPatterns tutorial 



Happy Sewing!
C

7 comments:

  1. Your bound buttonholes look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say that imma work on that skill too...then I punk out! Can't wait to see your coat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are beautiful. I mean your buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. When we don't reinforce a skill every day or even every week, it is critical to make those samples. It refreshes our memory and no mistakes on the final garment! I have found accurate measuring to be what makes the difference in my BBHs. I even count the stitches to get them the same. I think Claire Shaeffer taught me that. Anyhoo, with your practice we know you will get it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bound buttonholes look so much nicer and much more professional. I can't wait to see your coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buttonholes look wonderful! No matter how often you make them, some practice is always necessary - each fabric handles a little differently, and a trial run (or two, or...) is always a good thing,I think.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin