Saturday, January 6, 2018

Vogue 1525 - In Review and Not the Look for Me

 

I seriously debated this Rebecca Vallance outfit, Vogue 1525.  When the pattern was first published, I thought about purchasing it.  But then I thought; "No this isn't the look for me."  After seeing it made by others, I thought maybe it will work for me.

Well, throughout the entire process, I had doubts about the look on me.  In hind sight, I realized I should have simply made a muslin.  It would have told me a lot about how this outfit would look on me.

Over the weekend, I tried it on again.  I think it's the crispness of the fabric.  It has body and it falls away from my frame.  This affect makes me "thick" and I the outfit a lot on the maternity side. :-(


I think the fabric combined with the style is not a good match.

Anyway, this Chinese Red Stretch Blended Double Cloth would have been better used in a dress or jacket and skirt.  The fabric is medium weight with a crisp hand.    The good thing is I do have enough left to get a nice skirt.  Maybe I'll try that next. ;-)


As far as reviewing the pattern, it was easy to construct the garment.  It is available in sizes 6 to 22.
 
It's described as:  loose-fitting top has back invisible zipper closure, shaped front and back side panels, and long sleeves with in-seam invisible zippers. Semi-fitted pants have front pleats, back invisible zipper closure and side pockets.

There were no difficult or confusing instructions.  Pretty typical and easy to follow.

With looking at the pattern, my likes were/are:
  • The side panels of the top
  • The close or high neckline
  • Multiple cup sizes, reduced time in making adjustments
  • Style of the pants 
Dislikes:
  • How it looks on me in this fabric
The alterations/changes made:
  • Lengthen the pant
  • Omitted the invisible zippers on the sleeves
  • Reduced the length of the shoulder seam
  • Adjusted the crotch of the pants
 As far as a sewing the pattern, it's not difficult and there are no confusing steps or construction techniques to follow.  And if this style appeals to you, go for it!  Be careful with sectioning the appropriate fabric type.  Double cloth is not for this outfit.




Again, my issue is with how it looks on me and the drape of the fabric with this outfit.  What was I thinking?


Happy Sewing!  My next project is a few weeks away.
C



24 comments:

  1. The color is gorgeous on you. Sorry you don't like it but I think it is a lovely outfit. Maybe using these as separates with a contrasting pant or top will give them more life for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bunny. I few people recommended that too. I'm considering it. We will see.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Thanks for sharing ... now that you have this fabulous fitted outfit that highlights your beauty and gives a majestic appearance, perhaps the look can be modified somewhat with a large pendant hanging necklace and thereby adding to the optics of length over width ... also remembering that some cultures choose to wear modestly flowing garments ... Lynda from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. These two garments don't work well for me. Not together anyway. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. I think you will like it better if add some front waist darts to remove some of the fullness. It needs some accessories and then I think you have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Towanda. I don't think I'll spend anymore time on it. I'll probably wear the pants with a different top and/or jacket.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if it would look better if you took in the side seams and CB seam to make it flare less. I agree that it has a maternity vibe currently. (Btw, I know nothing about women’s clothes). The pants look fine, and the color is fabulous. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I understand why you don't like this outfit, I wonder if it could be improved by making the neckline a V neck. You certainly did a great job with the fitting of it, it looks as if it fits perfectly. You could wear the top with a narrow pant or just use those pants with other more fitted tops. Great color on you btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I won't spend anymore time on it.

      Delete
  6. It is a beautiful color on you and my first impression was it was a beautiful outfit. After reading this , I can see the discomfort in your face so if it makes you unhappy it is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. This style, as is isn't for me.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous color, but I think that you are right that this does not flatter those of us with large busts. Perhaps a fabric with more drape might work better, but I am not so sure. I really pondered buying this pattern, but concluded that it wasn't going to work for me no matter what the fabric. But, please do find some more fabric in this color since it really is stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are spot on, Nancy. The pants can be worn with other coordinates. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I agree the color is perfect on you. Could you break up the outfit and wear the pants with another top and the top with other pants/skirt. Maybe it's just too much together. You did a great job & look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. I'm headed in that direction. Thanks again.

      Delete
  9. I agree that the color is spot-on for you! But, I understand asking the question "what were you thinking," because I have asked myself that question a countless number of times, lol! I hope your skirt turns out to be all you want, and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vanessa. This is definitely not the first time. Tee Hee. I just decided to share this one. I will probably wear the pants. Oh yeah, I'll certainly share the skirt. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. It is a gorgeous outfit Cennetta. I totally understand about the fabric choice as it has happened to me many times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A pity it does not flatter - I have moments of madness like this as well when I try a style that I know really is not flattering for me. I really do think these full styles are very hard for many people to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color is wonderful on you even if the top doesn't work for you. Revisiting the fabric as a skirt sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely color on you. Since they are loose fitting, perhaps you can recut them into garments you would like better...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The color really suits you and the outfit actually is lovely. But I know how it feels when you're not happy with how it looks on you. I suppose that mixing the pieces with other matching separates would help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a gorgeous colour, that's for sure. Too bad the ensemble doesn't work for you. That said, thanks for posting it, because not all my makes are winners, either, and it's nice to know that happens to other sewists! I do hope you can salvage some of it, even if it means wearing the pieces separately. The lines of those trousers are really elegant.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin