Tuesday, May 19, 2020

My New Floaty Romantic Dress - McCall M7974 -



This is one of those feel good and pretty dresses that you cherish for years to come.  I love the way it moves.  The floaty fabric dances about you as you walk.   It feels soft and spongy.  The surface has that pebble crepe texture, but it is not rough. 

This is a closeout fabric that I purchased from Mood Fabric last winter.  The fabric was labelled item# 327930 Black Byzantium and Sage Green Polyester Crepe.  Unfortunately, it is no longer available.



This pattern has been made by so many fabulous sewists on Instagram.   All of the beautiful dresses that I saw inspired me to make it too.  I put it on my "To Make List" last year in July soon after I purchased the pattern.  And I think around September I made the pattern adjustments.  I didn't see the need to make a muslin because I'd made dresses with a similar front bodice.  So, I just went from adjusting to laying out the pattern and cutting the dress out. 

I was able to make my own romantic floaty floral dress for which I am very pleased.  So hear is my review.  



The pattern description  given by McCall's  is misses' dresses: buttoned front dress. A, B. C. D has sleeve and length variations, fitted bodice with front midriff, back yoke and gathered skirt with side seam pockets.

It is available in sizes 6 to 22.  I used 16 with modifications.

I made view A with the length between A and C. The skirt takes up a lot of yardage.  I had four yards of the crepe.  It wasn't enough for the length of view C.  

My dress does look like the illustrations.  The bodice is less fitted then I expected.  And that is true for the dress on the model pictured on the envelope.  The "V" neck is deep.  So I am wearing a lace trim full slip underneath.  It's needed for modesty for the dress as a whole because of transparency.  

The instructions were typical.  I've seen these steps in many, many other similar patterns.  There was nothing confusing in them.



My likes for this dress are many:
  • The sleeves of view A and C
  • "V" neckline and midriff
  • The yoke back
  • The fullness of the six panel skirt
  • Buttons instead of zipper.  Nice change
Dislikes:
  • None

I made my usual fit adjustments:


  • FBA -  I started out with a much larger adjustment.  I changed it.  So It might be a little hard to follow what was done.  But here is the photo of the front bodice and the facing.

  • Prominent Shoulder Blades - I added about an inch to the width of the back.  Then gathered the excess for more ease at the shoulder blades.  At the waist, I just gathered at center back.  So it slightly change the design.  Excess could also be taken up with waist darts.  I followed the design with gathers. 
  • I used a bias strip of the fabric to finish the keyhole on the sleeve.  It looks better to me. ;-)
  • Skirt Length Change - I just cut it where I wanted between view A and C.

My chest needs some sun. Tee Hee.



Of course, I have to make it again in a solid color next time. I highly recommend this dress to others.  There are a lot of buttonholes to sew and a lot of gathers to make, but it is worth it.  In the end, you will have a lovely dress.

I  am glad I decided to make it.  I think the sleeves of view A and C are adorable, and I will probably mix and match them with other patterns.   

Happy Sewing!
C






14 comments:

  1. Ooooh! You look so beautiful in this dress...and I think a maxi version would be super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really pretty and thanks for always sharing your pattern adjustments, so informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty dress, and I do like that sleeve too, so feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty on you, and I love the background too. It is perfect for your romantic dress. I can't believe it used 4 yards of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so pretty! I love the fit and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful dress, although I struggle with how low some V necks are, too. I just make sure I always have a camisole or slip of appropriate color handy. Also, the park you were walking in is just so lovely! It must have made you happy to be able to go there for your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a delightful dress Cennetta. Totally timeless, flattering and with some lovely details. Looks like you will enjoy wearing it for many years to come

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric is so pretty! I love your creations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your lovely dress! I just purchased this pattern, and I'm getting excited to make it. I appreciate your fit adjustments too; I'm not sure what to do to fit my broad shoulder blades but narrow and short ribcage, and your example helps. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin