Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The Prettiest Blouse That Almost Wasn't Made - McCall 6512

 





This blouse was a tremendous save.  In the sense that this blouse has been in a bag in the UFO's bind for the longest time.  To be precise, I cut this blouse out shortly are I returned from the Palmer/Pletsch workshop in 2012.  

I can't say why it took me so long to finish it.  But I am very happy that it done and it still fits.  It fits in with my current wardrobe capsule plans.  


 

Enough on the back ground information.  Here is my pattern review.

Pattern Description:  Misses' Blouses:  Loose-fitting blouses A, B have neck and front bands, yoke, front sleeves (cut on crosswise grain of fabric), no shoulder seams, back pleats and narrow hem.  A:  Pleated pockets with button flaps and short sleeves rolled-up (wrong side shows) with button tab. B: Bias collar extends into tie ends and sleeves gathered into button cuffs with seam opening.


Pattern Sizing: The pattern comes in size groupings from 4 to 18.  I used size 16 with some modifications.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, my finished blouse does look like the illustrations on the pattern envelope. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were typical with the Palmer/Pletsch instructions for adjustments, which are always a plus.  For the most part, I followed them.  I didn't like the suggested construction for the collar/tie and neck band.  My preference is to attach the neck band to the top first.  I like to check and make sure everything lines up as it should.  I also found it strange/different to interface the collar/tie.  In my mind, it should be soft and fluid. So, I hoped that it would be fine as I added the interfacing to the collar/tie.  As it turned out, it's a little stiff but still floaty.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? There are so many likes about the blouse, and there were a few challenges with the construction.  I start with the many likes.

Likes:

  • The cut on sleeve that continues into the back yoke.
  • The join of the blouse front at the arm hole.
  • The front band and the 3/4 sleeves.
  • The overall style of the blouse with the tie.
  • My selection of fabric.  It's so soft and fluid.

 

  • The join of the blouse front at the arm hole.

  •  The front band and the 3/4 sleeves. 



  •  The overall style of the blouse with the tie.
  • My selection of fabric.  It's so soft and fluid.

Dislikes/Challenges:

  • The construction of the collar/tie and neck band.
  •  I struggled with the fabric.  The neck band and the front band that I cut eight years ago was a little off.  The fabric is slippery which makes it difficult to cut.  So when I re-cut these pieces (Thank God I had more fabric.), I block fused the interfacing to it before cutting out the pieces.
  • In order to produce good buttonholes, I cut stripes of wax paper placing a piece on top and underneath the buttonhole area. 


 

 

Fabric Used: The fabric is a silk chiffon that I purchased during the Palmer/Pletsch workshop way back in 2012.  I purchased it at the Fabric Depot.  It is pretty, soft, and fluid. But difficult to handle.  It slips and slides.  Initially, my plan was to do french seams. Somehow, I forgot all about that after making two seams  (the back sleeve to the back blouse).  No way was I going to rip out the next set of seams.  So, tested the look of the zig zag on the sewing machine.  It didn't look good.  So I finished the rest of the seam with the serger.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  Some changes in construction are above. Additionally, I made a FBA.  No other pattern alterations.  My closure has seven buttons instead of six.


 



Next time, I'll add a few inches to the length of the sleeve and I don't think I'll add interfacing to the collar/tie.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, I want to make at least one more.  And yes, I recommend it to others.  My blouse turned out pretty good.  This first one was a very slow sew.  I spent time than I normally spent on a blouse of similar style.  In the end though, it was worth it.  Now, I have one less garment in the UFO bind.  And I'm very happy about that.  



Conclusion:This project was a little challenging, but with patience and perseverance I finished another UFO.  I ended up with one more pretty blouse in my closet.


Happy Sewing!

C

15 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous blouse! I'm so happy you finished it. It's really just a work of art, with all the lovely details. I have never heard of the wax paper trick, but I will keep it in mind to try myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne. Try the wax paper tip. It's works every time. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely blouse and I love your tip of using wax paper to help work the buttonholes! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I hope the tip is helpful.

      Delete
  3. Dang, I just went and found a copy of this pattern and bought it. You're an enabler and I have the perfect fabric for it. Your blouse is lovely.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wax paper for buttonholes. That is just what I needed to read. I'm starting on an unstable sweater knit. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your sweater knit project. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous fabric! I have this same blouse cut out in my UFO bins somewhere! Yours makes me want to search it out and get it done if the fabric still suits me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimbersew, there is no time like the present. Thanks. C

      Delete
  6. Well done! Some styles never go out if fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blouse. Love your wax paper tip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin