Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gaucho Pants - Butterick 4861


B4861

Pattern Description: MISSES’ PANTS AND GAUCHO PANTS: Straight-legged, below mid-knee pants or wide-legged gaucho, below mid-calf or evening length have waistband and mock fly. A, B: side slits and leg bands with buttons and buttonholes. A: lined patch pockets. E, F: partially stitched pleats.

Pattern Sizing: 6- 20; I made size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes and no. The crotch circumference is a little short. Other than that, yes, the pants look like the drawing.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. Nothing confusing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Like: I haven't owned a pair of gaucho pants since my high school days. So I thought this would be a good change for me. Dislike: I don't like the fit. My fault. I should have made a muslin first. And unfortunately, I have another pair already cut. Maybe I can salvage them by reducing the seam allowance in the waist and crotch area. We will see how it goes.

Fabric Used: A polyester stretch woven from JoAnn's. This was not the best choice of fabric. It was a little challenging to sew.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I only added a few inches to the length. I should be made my standard crotch adjustment.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'm going to sew the second pair cut to see if I can achieve a better fit. Yes, I recommend this pattern to others with modifications. The wide legs give the illusion that these pants a very loose. They are not. To be safe, make a muslin.

Conclusion: This is a fairly deceit pattern. Although I not completely happy with the results, this is a fairly deceit pattern. You need to make a muslin to check the fit. Otherwise, it's easy to sew and no confusing instructions.



12 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I think of gaucho pants as being difficult to wear. You look great in yours! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The outfit is beautiful and the color really looks good on you. Once you work the fitting issues with the pants it should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your outfit, the color is great on you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful color. I love your gauchos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bummer. If they have an elastic waist you might be able to add a separate wider band for elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fantastic outfit. Love those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pants----the whole outfit is great! I love the style and color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope that you can fix the fit issues, because the outfit looks wonderful on you. Love the colour! I do like gaucho pants with boots for winter - no long hems to drag through the snowbanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great in purple!! Love your complete outfit. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color. Hope you're able to get the fit you want with the next pair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your outfit... the color suits you so well. Hehe.. I personally love gauchos and think that yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic looking outfit!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin