Monday, November 22, 2010

S4076 Tried and True


S4076

Countless times I've noted on this blog "this is a favorite pattern" or "Yes, I will make it again." This is one that will never loss favor. It's surely a TNT that I can pull out and have a successful sewing experience. This treasure has been reviewed on PR 184 times. It is noted as a The Best Pattern of 2008 and is inducted in The Hall of Fame 2009. So there is really no need for me to review it again on PR, but I want to show my latest versions of the top and to talk a little about the knit fabrics that I used to make them. To date, I have made six tops: two wrap tops and four of the t-shirt style with sleeve variations.





Early Saturday morning (7:00am) I started to sew three more t-shirts that I cut several weeks ago. These are easy to sew. It took me about three hours to complete all three.

All of the fabrics were found in the Vogue Remnant Room. Each of them had varying amounts of stretch. The brown and white was closest to a stable knit (matte jersey) while the yellow/orange/black had about 45 percent stretch both ways.




More and more I'm paying close attention to the weave of fabrics and their fiber content. Noticing whether it's loosely woven or tightly knit. I'm finding it play a role in how the garment will lay on the body and how much wearing ease it needed for comfort. The last thing any of us wants to do is fight with your clothes.

Fitting garments made of knit fabrics is easier than woven fabrics. For these tops I didn't do a FBA. I cut size 14 for the neckline and size 16 more or less for the rest. The brown and white top fits slightly closer than the other two tops, but all fit. The patterns in the fabric make the bra line invisible and forgives the little bodily imperfections.

So ladies, consider the weave of your fabric as you consider the amount of wearing ease you want to build into your garments.

Happy Sewing!
C

19 comments:

  1. Spectacular variety indeed. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice wardrobe additions! Isn't is nice just to sew up something you know will work and gives a great result every time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking tops - I love the beautiful fabrics you have picked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done!! I can see why you love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tops and can see why the pattern makes for a great tnt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the prints you used for these! They all turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wardrobe additions. Love the fabrics. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these are lovely! Wonderful additions to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woa, those are beautiful knits. Great addition to your wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made this top several times too. It is a great pattern. Your fabrics are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No. 3 is my favorit! So beautyful colours!
    Greetings from germany, Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go great to just whip these out! Love the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tees! Nothing like filling your closet with great TNT clothing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful - I really like all if them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tops, this pattern is indeed a winner and a keeper!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin