Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dress for Ms. Paulette - V8615

It's that time of year again. Prom season and anniversary dress for Ms. Paulette. She is the banquet chair for our Pastoral Anniversary Dinner. Every year for the past five years, Ms. Paulette has commissioned me to make her dress.

This year she will be wearing Vogue 8615 made in a matalasse fabric, which she purchased at Fishman's Fabrics a few week ago. The muslin is done and the fitting/design adjustments transferred onto the pattern. I'm happy to say there were only minor fitting adjustments needed.  I usually don't make multiple muslin.  One is enough to capture small changes.  If there are more adjustments, I'll make them as I sew and fit the dress.  The next fitting will be later this week.  Next cutting and sewing.








Adjustments:

  • Reduce the 3/4 length sleeves by 1 inch
  • Reduce the amount of ease in the sleeve cap
  • I usually write on the muslin to help me remember the changes needed.
    These instructions on how to reduce the excess ease are published in "Vogue Sewing".
    Here's is my rendering of the change.
    Reduced ease and shorten sleeve.
  • Make a deeper "V" for the back neckline
  • Reduce the length of the bodice by 1/2 inch
  • Adjust shoulder seam to fit closer to shoulder
  • Add bra strap holders to the shoulder seams
  • Deeper "V" for back neckline. Notice that the right shoulder seam stands away from the shoulder. This could be attributed to lack of hook and eye at the top of the zipper. Will see on the next fitting. I can make deeper shoulder seams if necessary. Also the length of the bodice is a tad bit to long. Below is how I made a deeper "V" neckline:
    Original pattern with new neckline drawn on it. I didn't want to cut the original just in case I need to use it again.
    Copied the bodice back transferring the marking and the new neckline.
    Finally a view of the new back bodice over the original pattern. and finally,
  • Only add 2 inches to the length (I added four to the muslin)

Parting Shots: This is my favorite Ms. Paulette project to date. V8355 made in 2008.





This is an easy one. So that's all for now. Stay Tuned and have a great day!
C

12 comments:

  1. I am staying tune to see the fabuloues dress for such a stylish lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, Ms. Paulette is a stunner in her Cenetta made suit. This dress will be equally fabulous, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, Ms. Paulette is a stunner in her Cenetta made suit. This dress will be equally fabulous, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms Paulette will look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That suit is STUNNING! I look forward to seeing the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dress this is going to be! That suit is just awesome!! When I saw the recent Palmer/Pletsch e-mail, I thought the jacket was amazing on a beautiful woman. Then, I realized it was you and I know you through your blog. Congratulations!!! I look forward to the finished dress for Ms. Paulette and the garments from your gorgeous new fabric purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paulette is stunning in your labor of love. Wow! I can't wait to see the dress! You are fabulous, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to make V8615 for so long, can't wait to see how it turns out!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came across your blog while trying to find a photo of V8615. I was trying to see how full the skirt will be; I guess I'll get the pattern and pin-fit it to find out. Interesting that you reduced the ease at the sleeve cap. Will that make it less comfortable? I am trying to teach myself to sew. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - The reduced ease for Ms. Paulette did not make it less comfortable. It depends of the width of the individual's arm and the width of the pattern.

    Thanks,
    Cennetta

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin