Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Finish - Vogue 8615 - Ms. Bell

It seems like ages since I last posted. I've missed blogging and hope to start back as soon as things settle down a bit. Well, the Pastoral Anniversary (35) celebration was last Sunday. This is my review of Ms. P. Bell dress using Vogue 8615.




Pattern Description: MISSES' DRESS: Lined, below mid-knee or below mid-calf dresses A, B have fitted bodice, back neckline is lower than front and three-quarter or full length sleeves, flared skirt has side seam pockets and back zipper. Purchased petticoat and belt. Separate.

Pattern Sizing: 8 to 24.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. Pretty much with the exception of a few design changes by Ms. Bell. I will talk them later in the review.

Were the instructions easy to follow? There were only six pattern pieces. Simple right? Right. The instructions were typical and easy to follow. I didn't like the finish of the armscye. So I turned in the seam allowance and hand stitched the lining to the armhole.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This dress was for a client, but there were a few likes we both shared. and they are:

- simplicity of the design. Classic.
- the full skirt.
I also liked;
- the placement of the bodice darts and as well as the darts at the elbows.
- the most of the pieces went together well.

Dislikes -
- the amount of ease in the sleeve.
- the width of the sleeve cap. It wasn't smooth and formed a bubble around the upper part of the armscye.
- the shoulder seam is extremely narrow.

Fabric Used: A beautiful matalasse fabric from Fishman's.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Most of the pattern alterations and design changes are here. But during the second fitting, Ms. P. Bell was not completely happy with the length of the sleeves and the formation of the sleeve cap. So, I shorten the sleeves two more inches and reset the sleeve to eliminate the bubble effect along the upper portion of the sleeve.

I added two inch black lace to the edge of the skirt lining, just to pretty it up a bit. (Carolyn taught me this.) I also added the bra strap holders to the shoulder seams to help keep the dress in place. Caution - If you're planning to make this dress, you may want to add a inch or two the the length of the shoulder seam.


Ms. P. Bell wanted a matching belt. So I made one. Easy to do by cutting the belt the desired width and length plus seam allowance. Use canvas hair interfacing to add body. To finish the belt, a sparkling buckle. To keep the belt end from floppy over, I added a stripe of velcro. The stitching is buried in the fabric so you can't see it.


I also made a corsage that Ms. Bell can attach to the lapel or shoulder of her coat. You can use any flower pattern to make it. Finish the bottom of the flower and add a closer.




Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I thought about using this pattern for my Tracy Reese inspired dress, but I decided B4443 will work just fine. And yes, I do recommend it to others with modifications. It's classic. Just make a muslin for the bodice at least to get the fit down pat.

Conclusion:
This was good pattern choice for a classic design.

18 comments:

  1. Ms. Bell looks fabulous!!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful!!! I just love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Ms Bell is definitely one stylish BELLe! The design changes make this dress stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!! As always the dress came out gorgeous. It's classy ,elegant and sophisticated...everything I would want in a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one stylish customer. Beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sew like a dream and I'm so honored that you even mention my work in your post! The dress is stunning and Mrs. P. looks amazing in it! Another fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your client looks stunning in her dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric and the dress looks stunning on Ms Bell. Well done, it really is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dress you did an, awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous dress, gorgeous fabric and the fit is perfect. It's a very flattering dress on Ms. Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful dress-timeless. That is one lucky lady to have you sewing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, Cennetta--Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Ms. Bell looks just great. The dress fits wondefully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Ms. Bell's a LOOKER in that lovely finery. Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be picking this up! Wonderful job as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your clients dress turned out so beautiful!!! I see why she always keeps coming back to you. You do excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress looks fantastic on Ms. Bell! Obviously made well and she wears it well. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin