Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Full, Floaty Hi-Low Butterick Skirt - B5892 - In Review



Summertime is a great time to wear full, floaty skirts. (At least I think so.) They can be made up in a variety of fabrics. The styling is comfortable and carefree, perfect for an evening stroll along Lake Shore Drive, an afternoon movie, or the jazz festival in Millennium park.

I made two skirts using this Butterick 5892 for my October 2013 vacation to Mexico. It has taken all this time for me to write the review. These skirts sew up quickly with no problems.

The description is: misses' skirt - loose-fitting, lined skirt has elasticized waist and shaped hemline (wrong side shows), and narrow hem. C and D: elasticized tie ends, and ruffle. It comes in a wide range of sizes: XS(4-6) to XXL(24-26).



The suggested fabrics are chiffon, georgette, voile, lace. lining: jersey, interlock. Some of the construction steps were tailored to address using the recommended sheer fabrics. I decided to not lining mine and use a matte jersey and a nice rayon challis, both purchase at Vogue in Evanston. I used view D with a few modifications.



My changes:

 - I stitched across the elastic to create a smooth finish across the front of the waist. This is a better for me when I wear my top on the inside of the skirt. For the blue/purple skirt, I omitted to tie and did not stabilize the waist at all.
 - since I used opaque fabric, there was no need to line them. I did follow the french seams for the ruffle because some of the inside of the skirt can be seen at the hem line.
 - I only added a few inches to the length of the ruffle.


There is nothing to dislike about this skirt. It sews up quickly and there are no confusing steps in the instructions. This skirt provides great wearing ease especially during the hot days of summer. If I sew it again, I will probably use one of the recommended sheer fabrics. This is a good pattern for beginners and well as advance sewists to try. Personally, I love full, long, floaty skirts for summer. This one was a good choice.



PS-

The top I'm wearing is Vogue 8251; view D. It is my pseudo wearable muslin. Vogue's figure flattering chart recommends it for triangle and hourglass figures. But I think everyone can wear at least one version of the top with some adjustments. I didn't quite get the FBA right on this one. I ended up with some gathering at the center front of the top. Since making it, I figured out were I went wrong. That was the only issue I had with the top. More on that later though.
 
Happy Sewing!
C

15 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful skirt and lovely top. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirts. I love the both. I will have to make up this pattern in summer. I have that same lovely lime deco print from Vogue and just made a caftan top with it. Lovely isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both beautiful - I love simple to make elastic waist skirts for a quick sew - very effective. I love the hemline on these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both skirts and your top! Great selections in fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH. SO PRETTY.

    i say UGH because i've been stalling on cutting a hi lo floaty skirt, i want one, but man is it hard to cut big pieces out in my 4 sq ft of space!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these skirts on you, C! Perfect for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Canneta. I too love full, floaty skirts. They are soo feminine. You wear it well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Love those colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love skirts for the summer season. Especially when they can be worn with different tops. Your skirts came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes. Yes. These skirts are very nice as is the top. Lovely coordinates. There's something about rayon challis that I just love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your skirts. Your shoes are really cute. You look really nice in them. Mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin