Wednesday, June 25, 2014
My Dreamsicle Summer Dress - Vogue 8727
Several weeks ago I stumbled upon this beautiful light weight cotton blend with a velvet flocked floral pattern and burnout flowers. I simply had to have it. So I quickly ordered five yards of it to make a special summer dress. The color of the fabric reminds me of Dreamsicle ice cream. Back in the day, when a ice cream bar was only 15 cents. Dreamsicles were my favorite. I like a lot of the trends that are out this season. Many of the runway shows featured over the top full, long floaty skirts and dresses. I've pinned a few (RTW) on my board: This Should Be In My Closet.
After my fabric arrived, I started second guessing my plans for it. I contemplated; maybe I shouldn't make the dress. The fabric is too loud. Does it look like a tablecloth? Then I said to myself, "Self who cares. Go for it!"
Silly me. The fabric is gorgeous and makes an attractive dress. I wore it on Sunday to church receiving tons of compliments.
I used Vogue 8727, View F. It is described as an easy to sew misses dress that is close fitting through bodice, lined. I added, with straight and full skirt variations. This is recommended for all body shapes except rectangle. The pattern comes in sizes 6 to 20 with two combinations A5 (6-14) and EE (14-20). The drawings on the envelope were very much like the actual pattern. The guide sheet drawing was slightly different.
For the lining a used a some ivory pongee lining from my stash. It's light weight and works well with the cotton blend.
Bodice Piping - I added piping to neckline and the armholes after sewing the front and back bodice together at the shoulders. Next I attached the bodice lining along the piped edges. Then turn the bodice to the right side of the fabric and sewed the side seams.
Midriff - I cut double the lining. One set to fuse the interfacing to and the other to serve as it was intended. This was done because I didn't want the interfacing to show through the burnout. First, I attached the right side of the interfaced lining to the wrong side of each section of the midriff. Next, I sewed the midriff together forming one long band. Then I sewed the piping to the upper and lower edges of the midriff. Finally, the midriff was attached to the lower edge of the bodice. The lining was sewn and attached to the lining bodice following the same process minus the fusing and piping steps. At each intersection of the bodice and midriff, I tacked the lining to the fabric seam allowances to secure the lining to the dress.
Hemming - I cut the skirt 1" longer then the pattern and cut the lining the exact length of the pattern. Both were finished with a rolled hem. Because of the burnout, I had to carefully finished the hem of the skirt. There are some areas were the burnout is right at the hemline. It looks just fine.
In my photographs, I did notice that there was still a little gapping at the neckline. I think I could have sewn the shoulder seams 14 instead of 16.
Other changes and alterations are here.
I really like the style of this dress and that there are variations for the bodice as well as the skirt. This style is timeless classic. The design is easy to sew. The difficult parts are nailing down the fitting adjustments and determining what fabric/embellishments to be used.