Monday, October 20, 2014

Denim Like Twill - Fall Wardrobe Builder




Fall is here and I don't have enough casual wear in my wardrobe!  So this season I'll working on beefing up my casual wear.

A nice pair of jeans are a perfect start.  I found the absolute perfect Mood fabric.  Check out this cotton denim like twill.  It is gorgeous. The description  states that it has a softer hand than denim, which is true.  But I'd like to add that it feels buttery like a suede clothe.  It's great against the skin and moves gracefully with every step.  This is a must have fabric for fall casual wear.

The color is listed as black.  It's more like a charcoal gray.  I wore a black shirt to show the difference in color.  I wish it came in more colors. hint, hint.  Dear Mood can you find more colors please?








I paired it with McCall's 6610, which offers two styles. This pattern is described as misses jeans:  fitted, straight or boot-legged jeans have waistband, carriers, pockets, front stay, joke back, fly front zipper closing and narrow hem.

It comes in sizes 6 to 22.  I used size 14 with a few alterations: lengthen by 4 inches; added 1/4" to the upper front and back pants; and added about 1/2" to the hook on the back pant for more move in the crotch area. 

I also made a few changes to the design of the jeans:  I used the small pocket for view A (sewed view B) and topstitched side seams about a foot from the waist through the hip area.  For security, I also cut two of the carriers. I press and sew both.  This gives me more carrier length to play around with.  With this pair, I sewed on eight carriers instead of five.  I did not sew them flat to the pants.  I wanted to be able to easily thread different sized belts with no problem. 

This is the second time I've used it. The first time was a learning experience for me.  The legs didn't quite turnout as well as I thought the would.  With this pair I addressed the leg issue.  Also, confirmed that I really do not like the straight waistband.  Next time I will use a curved one for a better fit across my sway back.



For the most part the instructions were easy to follow and included fit tips.  The topstitching instructions is incorrect.  Both state that you should do the stitching to the right.  If you follow #37, do the topstitching for the (#44) center back on the left.  Then the joining of the front and back center seam will match as intended.




With a few more little tweaks, this will be my TNT jean pattern.  It has all the elements of a solid pair of jeans and is a good starting point for a custom fit/style.  So give both, the fabric and the pattern a try.  You won't be disappointed.


Happy Sewing!
Cennetta


15 comments:

  1. What a smart looking pair of jeans! They look great with the shirt and especially with the leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to say, you look totally together in this outfit - very, very sharp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Cennetta! The color is gorgeous, and I believe you when you say the fabric was wonderful to work with. You should definitely make another pair of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful on you. Wow! I would love to be able to sew myself a pair of jeans. Not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jeans have a great fit! To increase the tummy area how much or what is the average that should be added to the upper front and back pant? I see you added 1/4" to yours. Is that the standard? I have 48 hip and 42 waist. Also is there any advise on how to make a great curved waist? Thank you so much for your detailed post. Kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Kellie. How much you add depends on your own body type. You should do some measurements and possibly a muslin to determine how to add. Also, you can use any curved waistband from a patterning you already on. For instance I was thinking of using McCalls 5818 the next time I make these jeans. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Great jeans, and very helpful jeans-making tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great jeans. Can you wear them with flat shoes for a really dressed down look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. Yes they csn be worn with flats. You may want to determine that before hemming them.

      Delete
  8. These look really great,Cenetta. Fine details happening here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good, Cennetta. I am just now catching up and you've been creating some wonderful things. I am glad to see you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin