Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mom Can I Have A Simple Dress? - McCall 6988 In Review




Often when I'm sharing ideas with my daughter about future sewing projects, we end up talking about simple vs. fancy. More than often I opt for fancy when I'm going to make something for her.  I'm thinking special. But she always thinking about something simple and easy. Of course, if I want her to wear it, I need to compromise and make things that she has given me the knob and smile on. And I got that with this McCall's 6988 dress.

This pattern caught my eye when I read a review posted by Erica B.

Here is my review:

Pattern Description:
MISSES' DRESSES: Semi-fitted dresses have self-lined yokes, princess seams, and back zipper. A and B: flounce and narrow hem. B: front overlay. B and C: below elbow sleeves. D: short sleeves. Separate pattern pieces are included for cup sizes A/B, C,



Pattern Sizing:
sizes 6 - 22; I used size 10 with cup size C.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, it did.
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Nothing confusion. This really is an easy dress to make.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
We like:
  • the princess seams.
  • the flounce.
  • the inclusion of the cups sizes. 
No dislikes.

Fabric Used:  I used a stable knit from Hancock.  My DD had the mesh in her stash.  She has a stash and does almost no sewing. ;-)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  One of the great things about sewing for my DD there is minimum fit changes needed.  I added about 1/2" to the shoulder seam and squared it off a bit.  Removed about 1/2" from the center back.  It gaped at the back neckline.Added a few inches to the length of the dress. Additional change.  Thank you Linda for reminding me:  swayback adjustment. I folded out the center back, added 1/2" to the lower edge of the dress.  See this post for an example of my swayback adjustment.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I will probably make this dress at least one more time for her.  And I do recommend it to others.  It's fast and easy.


Conclusion:  This is an easy dress to sew.  And it's always great when DD and I can agree on a style and fabric for clothes I make for her.

13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Your daughter is adorable and it looks like she loves her dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color and style on her. Very pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh! You are so lucky to have your dd close by. My dd would love all of the work clothes you make your dd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress and your daughter are both gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable. Your daughter is a beautiful young lady. You are so lucky to have her with you to sew for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color is perfect on her. I love the dress and looks great. I have this pattern and really need to make something for fall from it. I sent you an email with question about swayback adjustment this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'll send a follow up response to your email.

      Delete
  7. She is so happy!
    LOL that she has a stash but hardly does any sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a beautiful dress you made for your gorgeous daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty dress as is your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty dress, your daughter is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is lovely, great pics as well. I have made the pattern without the frill, but this version is lovely and suits your daughter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin