Thursday, November 3, 2016

Comfy/ Stylish Cardigan - Butterick 6389



This is a fairly new pattern.  I like the style lines and saw the potential to beef up my casual fall wardrobe.  The long vest could be easily converted into a cozy sweater with full sleeve and the floaty wide collar.  This was the piece that "encouraged" me to buy this pattern.

I especially like the view of the model wearing the vest belted on the envelope.  The armhole falls about three inches below the base of my arm.  Perfect for wearing chunky sweater for the cool days.  It is very versatile and has the potential to be converted into a light weight coat.  So many patterns can be used for multiple purposes.  I'm always mixing and matching pattern pieces.

Butterick describes this pattern as: loose fitting vest has shawl collar and shaped hemline.  Top and tunic have turtleneck with back exposed zipper and raglan sleeves.  Pull-on pants have elastic at back waistline and side-front pockets.   It comes in sizes 4 to 26.  I used size 14 straight out of the envelope.

Minus the sleeves, my sweater does look like the drawing and modeled long vest on the envelope.  I used the sleeve from McCall's vintage pattern, M3025.  Easy fit for the loose fitting vest.


The instructions were easy to follow.  I changed a few of the construction techniques.   For the collar, I did a french seam  and sew it down instead of a flat fell seam.  I followed the same process to attach the collar to the vest.  To complete the hem, I used stitch witchery to hold it in place before sewing the hem.

I like the short and long vest as well as the mock turtleneck top.  No dislikes.  The pocket placement is  a little low.  So test the placement before you sew them to the vest.

The fabric that I used came from JoAnn's.  It's a medium weight sweater that has purple and lavender threads, which creates a purple heather color.  It's soft and appears to have good recovery.

Excuse the frown; the sun was in my eyes.



The great thing about this pattern is it is loose fitting.  I was able to make it without doing any real fit alterations.  I think I added maybe an inch or two to the length.  The most time consuming part of the process was sewing the french seams and the hem.  It was quite an easy project.

A beginner should be able to make this vest.  The flat fell seams may take some time, but doable.  I just didn't want to do them for this project.  I may sew it another, maybe..,


Anyway if this is your style, try it.

Happy Sewing!
C








6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I'd like it without sleeves just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! So cozy with the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this? I've pulled out my pattern to make the vest out of a boiled wool. I like how you've added sleeves to your version...really nice!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin