Friday, March 17, 2017

Fit and Flare Brown Bows Dress - Butterick 6280


Spring is almost here! What better way to start the season than with dress.  By now I'm sure you've noticed that my favorite thing to make is a dress. Last month I decided to "line them up" for the Spring/Summer sewing party that I scheduled with myself.  This is a solitary event that I planned for myself in hopes of getting back to spending more time in my sewing room.






This is the second dress posted for the March.  The fabric is another lovely fabric purchased from moodfabrics.com, brown bows printed on a cotton.  It is a lighter weight cotton sateen, great for everything from summer dresses to curtains.  This sateen has a smooth hand and a crisp drape.  No trouble sewing or pressing it.

I decided to pair it with Butterick 6280.  The fit and flare silhouette is a great style to show off the crisp drape of the fabric.  Because it is transparent when held against the light, I lined it with a crisp polyester lining from my stash; also I like the durability, comfort, and luxury that linings add to a garment.

Butterick 6280 is easy to make and is described as misses/misses petite dress semi-fitted through the bust, has princess seams, side front overlapped at the neckline, side pockets, and back zipper.  B.  Front and back overlays.  I made view B, no contrast, with modifications using sizes 14 and 16.

There was nothing confusing about the instructions.  I like the neckline, princess seams and the fit and flare silhouette.  I plan to make a few more dresses with the same basic style lines.  I don't have any dislikes.


I made some of my usual adjustments:

  • FBA
  • Swayback
  • Lengthen sleeve by 1"
  • Lengthen dress by 2"
Finishings:
  • Lined the dress
  • Added Hug Snug to the hem of the sleeves and dress.  Love this stuff
  • Inserted an invisible zipper instead of a regular one.


This dress turned out well.  After making all the pattern adjustments, I'd like to make at least one more of the views.

I know it's not spring yet, but I already wore the dress.  For almost the entire month of February and the beginning of March, we had "Spring" like weather; 50-60 degrees and rain.  Unfortunately, winter returned with freezing temps in the 20's with about 9 inches of snow on Tuesday.

Anyway, I think I'm off to a good start with building a new spring/summer dress collection.

Happy Sewing!
C

14 comments:

  1. I was excited to see your latest creation. Your talent astounds me. And you are your own best model. Beautiful dress. Beautiful craftsmanship. Amazing creativity and talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Mary. You are my newest, best fan. ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely make!
    I've seen Hug Snug - do you machine stitch to the hem and then whip stitch to the skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. That's is exactly how I do it.

      Delete
  3. Wow, C! Your fabric selection is always amazing. What a beautiful dress. You look amazing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress. You look gorgeous! I love the fun print of the fabric. I like adding seam tape to hems as well. It creates such a nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! You're off to a great start! Lovely fabric/pattern match and your usual great job of execution. You look totally comfortable and lovely wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is gorgeous...love everything about it...especially the fit!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin