My inspiration for this dress comes from one of my favorite designers, Valentino. I'm always dreaming about making something spectacular drawing from the simplest details in hopes of translating them into my very own creations. The vertical lines that are seen throughout Valentino's Fall 2016 collection is were I drew my inspiration for this dress. I posted a few pictures on my blog.
My dress does look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope with the exception of my "small" design changes.
There were no confusing steps in the instructions. Like all the amazing fit patterns, Simplicity include instructions on how to fine tune the fit as you sew.
My Likes -
There are a lot of reasons why I like and chose this pattern:
- It included my cup size and I wanted to test it to see if it would fit with minimum fit changes.
- Princess bodice, easier to fit, if the "Amazing Fit" bust size didn't fit.
- low-high skirt.
- "V" neckline
- Lantern style sleeve, five darts, makes for an interest sleeve detail. I only wish it was a little more pronounced.
Fit Changes -
I decided to use Simplicity Amazing Fit S1011 in hopes of limiting the amount of fit adjustments that I normally make. Surprisingly, that was the case with this pattern. I used size 14, DD cup, with only a few tweaks.
After making the muslin, I determined that a few small changes would produce a better fit:
- Add 1/4 at the fullness of the bust area to the side front and front.
- Add 1/2 width to the back, creating a neck dart.
- Make a swayback adjustment.
- Add an inch to the length of the bodice. In hind-sight, I think that was too much.
- Add an inch or two to the length of the skirt so that the hem would fall at my knee.
- Add an inch to the belt, for good measure, didn't need it.
Design and Construction Changes -
- I lined the entire dress. The pattern only gives instructions on lining the skirt of the dress.
- To emphasize the vertical lines, I added a floral trim with a Medallion style motif along the front and back seems of the bodice. Luckily, I had buttons with a similar design to hold the belt in place.
- Added hem tape to the skirt of the dress. It looks nicer.
- The instructions (#4) has you to form the pleat by bringing folds to broken lines. I simply bring the lines together, basting to form the pleats. It's easier.
- Step 1b, I didn't follow. I prefer to stay-stitch along the front and back; then slashing the seam allowances to fit the curve of the side front and side back.
|It's a little chilly and windy outside. Resting my coat for a five minute photo shoot.|