Wednesday, March 21, 2018

McCall 7243 In Review





Today I'd like to finally review a McCall's dress that I made for my daughter two years ago.  Yes, two years ago.  Occasionally, I share projects that won't high on my favorites list.  this one was lingering at the bottom of the "things to blog about list". 

After I photographed my daughter wearing the dress, I was less than satisfied with how it fit/looked on my daughter.  One the first things I noticed was the lines that formed along the collar neckline.  Then, I felt the dress was a little baggy through the waist and hip area (an easy fit, right?).  Finally, the photos were not the best.  So, I immediately thought let me think about whether or not I want to post the review. It took me two years and then some to finally post.

The first time that Lauren wore it was to the Haute Couture Club of Chicago Holiday Luncheon in December 2017.  She added a cute wide belt shaped much like a obi belt which made the dress quite flattering.   


When we arrived at the luncheon, Eve was wearing her version of the very same dress.  I had to chuckle to myself.  Both of us, yield similar results.  And both Eve and Lauren decided to belt the dress for a better look.

So, of choice, I had to take a few pictures of them together!   On Pattern Review there are about sixteen reviews.  So I think most of the construction do's and don'ts have been discussed.  So I will be brief with my review as this is not a difficult dress to sew.

Pattern Description:  Close-fitting, pullover top and dresses have wide bertha collar, and stitched hems. A, D: Long sleeves. B: Sleeveless. C: Contrast collar and three-quarter length sleeves. Narrow hem finish on collar, and armholes A.

Pattern Sizing:  4 to 20; I used size 12 with a few modifications.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  There was nothing difficult or confusing about the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  This is really a simple knit dress.  The collar and the double sleeve variations are what encouraged me to buy and make the dress.

Fabric Used:  Ponte knit from JoAnn's Fabrics.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made very small changes to the pattern.  For the front dress and front collar, I did a pigeon chest adjustment and the back dress and collar I remove about a inch from the neckline. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  For the most part, there is nothing difficult about it that would discourage someone from sewing it.  But I probably will not make this one again.  I have at least 100 difficult dress patterns to try.  So, if you think this the dress from you, try it.

My DD with My Baby Sister

Conclusion:  My daughter is now happy to wear this dress with a belt.  And after seeing Eve wearing the same dress, I have a new appreciation for it.  ;-)  This is a likable knit dress that is easy to sew.


12 comments:

  1. Oh that's too funny! Both Eve and your daughter look great in their dresses! I made this too, but never wore it or reviewed it because of the same thing that you experienced at the collar. I thought maybe it was my fabric, but it looks like that's just the way it's drafted. Your beautiful daughter looks a lot like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. I was happy she decided to wear it.

      Delete
  2. I really like the dress with the Obi belt! She looks great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. The belt does make a difference.

      Delete
  3. It looks really great with the belt and suits her quite well. Eve's version is so pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter styled the dress so well and it looks just great on her. She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As, thanks so much, Connie. I'm happy she wore it.

      Delete
  5. I really love the dress with the belt too! Your daughter looks adorable in it as well! (Beautiful baby sister too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous! Its a really nice colour too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin