Monday, September 27, 2021

Birthday Dress Reveal! - Vogue V1672

 




I'm so happy to finally reveal my birthday dress!



Vogue V1672 is a great pattern design.  I love so many things about it.  This is another one I'm going to make again.  ;-)

My Notes on a Pattern post gave you some information about my initial fit adjustments.  And for the most part they were spot on.  For the actual dress, I still needed to make a few little tweaks.  Nothing major though.  And that is why it is so important to make a muslin.  

Today, it feels like summer all over again.  It's 88 degrees and very sunny.  So we took advantage of this beautiful day and decided to do the photo shoot outside.  I have to hand it to my photographer, my DD.  She is always so willing to help me with the picture taking of me actually wearing the things that I make for myself. I am so grateful to have her help me.



Anyway, here is the rest of my review of this lovely dress.

Pattern Description:  This dress is described as: Lined dress with fitted bodice, side seam pockets, back zipper, and sleeve variations.  It is available in two size groupings (4-14 and 14-22).

NOTE:  The pattern envelope indicates that there are side seam pockets and the back view drawings show pockets.  But there is no pocket pattern included.  This is no biggie, you can used a pocket pattern from another design.  Vogue should update this error.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, my dress does look like the pictures on the envelope.  I didn't to the top stitching as shown in view A, and my sleeves are shorter.  I was aiming for more of a 3/4 length sleeve.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were typical.  Nothing in them was confusing or difficult to follow.  I omitted several steps based on how I wanted my dress finished.  I will discuss that in the design changes and alterations.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  There is so much I like about this pattern.  It has great bones.  My likes:

  • I love the full skirt.  It is very lady like.  I didn't have to make adjustments to the side on the dress.  Often with this type of skirt, I sometimes need to shorten along the sides of the dress.
  • mock wrap dress.  This is one of my favorite necklines.  And the design/fit of it was perfect, even after my FBA.  No small tuck needed.
  • Lined dress.  One of my usual preference.  
My dislike:
  • I didn't like not being able to easily try on the bodice during the construction process.  I had to base the center back seam (zipper) to see how the fit was coming along.  Nothing else.

Fabric Used:  As stated before, my fabric is from Mood Fabrics.  I purchased it awhile ago and it is no longer available.  It is a cotton/rayon blend I do believe.  Easy to work with, easy to press and soft to the touch.  I tested a piece in the wash.  Just to see if it washes well.  It did.  But I will be sending this dress to the dry cleaners.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  My usual fit adjustments.  See Notes on a Pattern.  Additionally, for the FBA I shortened the Dior dart by half the length.  It looks better.  My design and construction changes:

  • I only lined the bodice.
  • I added hem tape to the hem of the sleeves and skirt.
  • To eliminate the fear of the center front gap or opening, I tacked at the intersection of the front.
  • Shorten the sleeve length
  • Positioned the back shoulder dart on a angle.  It also looks better.  See back bodice adjustments.






Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, and yes.  I will probably make a summer version. Also, I may use the bodice and/or the skirt with other designs.  I love this pattern, and recommend it to others.




Conclusion: Love, love making this dress and how it turned out.  The design is classic and I think it looks good on me. ;-)  

Happy Sewing!

C

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect fit! So elegant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress. As ever, you are such an inspiration. I'm intrigued by your use of hem tape in the sleeves and skirt; would you consider telling us more about how you do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it is a simple process. I Sewed it to the right side of the hem after pressing the desired hem depth. Then I pressed the hem again to help form the tape to the curve of the dress. Finally stitching it to the dress. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress and it looks great on you! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful look on you! I can see why it's one of your favorite patterns. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is gorgeous, so sophisticated and elegant. you look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you so much. It turned out like I hoped.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin