Sunday, December 9, 2007

Butterick 4849

Finally finished Butterick 4849. This is one of many UFO's that I started last winter.




Pattern Description:
MISSES’ DRESS: Below mid-knee or mid-calf, A-line dress has bands, back zipper and sleeve variations. A: three-quarter length sleeves and contrast bands. B: long sleeves, contrast bands and purchased trim. C: long sleeves and purchased trim or ribbon. I made view A




Pattern Sizing:
6-20. I made a 14 with alterations. I added 3/8 inch to the side seams making them 1 inch to allow ample room for circumference fitting adjustments and fabric variations. This is a tip from Threads magazine, January 2006, number 122.

My dress did look like to drawing on the envelope, slightly longer. For the most part the instructions were easy to follow. I used a few of my own preferred methods.

-For the front band, the pattern suggests slipstitching the pressed edge of the facing over seam. I carefully machine stitched it instead. I did the same for the sleeve band.

-I've never like the method for finishing the neck facing where the zipper and facing meet. I used the machine stitched method described in a featured tutorial on Pattern Review and in "Singer 101 Sewing Secrets", pages 70 and 71.




The trendy look of this dress really appealed to me. I liked the high waist and the contrasting front and sleeve bands.

Fabric Used: Some type of polyester animal (black/white) print w/a crepe feel/texture to it. It's kinda puts me in the mind of a double georgette, but heavier. I got it on sale at Hancock last winter at Christmas time. The contrasting fabric is polyester taffeta type from Vogue Fabrics.

Reference materials Used:

Threads magazine, January 2006, Number 122
Singer 101 Sewing Secrets

Pattern Alterations and design changes:

I had to make the bodice of the dress three times before getting it right. There is no excuse for the first make of the bodice. I cut the top thinking I had it all figured out based on other bodice alteration of the same type. Wrong. The front gaped open just above the bust area, the armholes and back were too tight. So I looked at Ann's and Sharon's pattern alterations for FBA again. I graded the bodice up to a size 14. Second try, I made a muslin to test the changes. Still there was a gape in the front. So I pinched out the excess; then transferred the change to the pattern pieces. The sleeves were still a little too snug. So I lower the opening about 1/2 inch.



Altered pattern pieces.


Lucky I had about a yard of fabric left. So I cut the bodice pieces based on the alterations of the muslin.

I made a broad back alteration and added three inches to the skirt of the dress.

Instead of inserting a standard zipper, I inserted an invisble one.

I don't think I'll sew it again for myself. It is a unique style of dress. But I would recommend it to others with alterations.

I like the look of this dress; it's trendy and stylish.

7 comments:

  1. THis looks very nice on you! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable dress! I just picked up this pattern last week. Your animal print is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful dress and it looks great on you! Chic and sexy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks very modern and chic on you. I love the fabric, in fact i love black & white

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin