Monday, September 26, 2016

Notes on a Pattern (Design Element) - Always on Trend: Ruffles and Flounces





This started out being just a simple post: Notes on a Pattern, Vogue 8256, that I received as a gift.  I thought the skirt was something that I would consider making.  It's not difficult, it would just take some time to hem the flounces. The pattern is Sandra Betzina's three tier flounce skirt, copyright 2006. 


While pondering the thought of making the skirt, I decided to do a little research to see what designers were creating for Spring 2017.  That's when the flood gates opened.  I Googled "Ruffle and Flounce".  Thousands of images appeared in the search results.  Right then another thought occurred to me, "There is nothing new under the sun."



Every possible way to include ruffles or/and flounces appeared on screen.  I looked and looked until I couldn't look anymore.  I saved a few to show to you.   Next, I Googled "Vogue Pattern Ruffle and Flounce".  Here again hundreds of images appeared.  Many were pictures of my fellow sewing sistas/bloggers wearing the very own creations.


Needless to say, ruffles and flounces never ever go out of style.  You just need to determine how you want to incorporate them into your garment.  We don't have to be slaves to making anything exactly like the pattern calls for.  Be audacious or subtle as your personality and style dedicates.  Be creative.  Need a little inspiration, look at what the designers are doing.  See if there is something to suits you.





So, my little research project helped me decide to definitely make something with ruffles and/or flounces real soon.   For you viewing pleasure, here are a few designs that I'd like to share with you.

Happy Sewing!
C


4 comments:

  1. Definitely lots of inspiration here. Flounces and ruffles do add a very feminine touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing....ruffles are definitely on trend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, too. Thanks for sharing....definitely lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice research Cennetta! I can't wait to see what you come up with! I am really excited about Fall sewing and my sewing mojo has been staying with me for a while...so I guess there will be a lot of sewing going on in my room too! (At least I hope so, LOL!!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin