Thursday, September 22, 2016

Transitioning to Fall In Oscar De La Renta Checkered Coat





Transitioning to Fall in Chicago can be a mixture of three seasons on any given day.  We could start with cool, crisp sunny morning.  By mid-day it's hotter than July.  Then early evening, it's cloudy and raining.  We are so lucky.  It's not every day that this happens.  Most days it is one or the other.  ;-)





The good thing is we experience every season, which gives us opportunities to wear many different styles and weights of clothing.  I'm happy to have many coats of all weights and styles.  My new  Oscar De La Renta Checkered coat is my latest addition to my collection.  This fabric is perfect for transitioning from summer to fall.  The combination of the fabric weight and style of the coat is also great for layering.


I grabbed three yards of this coating several months ago and did not have a clue as to what I'd make. As I was writing this post, the thought occurred to me that it may be all gone.  But the good news is; it's still available.  So hurry.  It won't last forever.  Checkered, plaid, and window pane prints are hot  on the runway.





Making the coat..,

I used Butterick 6244.  The coat is described as Semi-fitted unlined coat (wrong side shows) has front extending into collar, flat fell seams, narrow hem and shaped front hemline longer than back.  It's available in sizes 8 to 24W.

The drawing and the photo on the envelope did look like my coat, with the exception of the drape of the fabric.  Mine is more fluid.


 
The skill level is listed as average.  But I think it's really easy.  From cut to finish, it took me about 3 hours to make this coat.  The instructions were typical big four "construction" instructions.   Also, I did not flat-fell all the recommended seams.  I only did the center back of the collar and the seams attaching the collar.  The rest of the raw edges were serged.  This textile is very loosely woven.  So as soon as I finished cutting it, I serged the edges.

I like the style of the coat and the fact that is was unlined.  A quick sew project pleaser with style.  Who could ask for more. No real dislikes about it.  But a word of caution.  There is quite a bit of easing needed along the neckline.  The back collar is about two inches wider than the back neckline.  The good thing about this fabric, it was not difficult to ease it in.  But a tighter weave may require a little more effort.



I didn't do my usual pattern adjustments.  Surprise, surprise.  I used size 16 for the entire coat.  I didn't think it would hurt to have a little more room throughout.  My coat probably does not hang as long in the front as intended though.  I added two inches to the sleeve length and about three inches to the length of the coat.

It so easy to say I would consider making it again.  Because the coat is a quick sew.  But I have at least a hundred coat/jacket patterns to try.  I do recommend it to others. 


My new coat will definitely get lots of wear this fall season.  I can easily dress it up or down.  The coat can be worn with jeans and boots.  It's perfect for layering on those cooler days.  Or you can wear it over a sleek mini dress and stilettos.  Picture day I'm wearing it with McCall's 6752 knit top and McCall's 5818 pants.

Happy Sewing!
C




25 comments:

  1. This was the hit coat of last season and I'm glad to see the pattern still being used cause I have all my materials together to make one for me, for fall. Your version is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. I see this one as a staple for at least a few years. It is so versatile.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Chicago and now live in Minneapolis. We had one of those 3 weather days yesterday. INSANITY! :)

    I've had this pattern on my radar and just love yours. And that fabric will make it so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mid-west may be flat, but we have some crazy weather. Tee hee.
      Originally,it was on my list for last year, but life happens. So, I wanted to make sure I got it done early enough to wear it this fall. You should try it, I think it will look great on you. Thanks, C

      Delete
  3. I was thinking that this might be too much for a shorter woman. On you, it's fabulous. How is the edge finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I serged the raw edges and did about 1.5 inch hem stitching by machine. The lower edge hem is just turned under. Along the front and collar the hem is turned to the right side. The color and texture sort of hides the serged edge.

      Delete
  4. You have made a beautiful coat that looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomasa, thank you. I hope to get a lot of wear out of it.

      Delete
  5. I love it! It looks even better on you than the pattern cover. I love the drape and pattern of the fabric. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really looks great on you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your coat looks great! This pattern is next in line in my queue....thanks for posting your review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty. This is a quick and easy one. You will enjoy sewing it.

      Delete
  8. It looks very beautiful and suits you so well. Your height really shows off the pattern well. You look stunning as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful coat Cenneta! I love the colors, very much a great look for fall. I live in Texas and it is still summer hot here. It would definitely make a great transition piece as we do get some cooler weather during the fall and winter months. Very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Patricia. Today it is about 70 and sunny. They predict a "fall" like week this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! I've had a hard time knowing how to dress the past few weeks- like you described, it's cool in the morning, hot midday, and cool again at night. Tricky! I could use a long layering piece like this! It looks so nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. soo love this coat. I will have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin