Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Red Is One of My Favorite Colors - Vogue 8871 and Butterick 5727




Every once in awhile I inventory my closets to see what needs to be retired and what needs to be added.  I noticed that I only have only red dress in rotation.  That was kind of odd, since red is one of my favorite colors.  So I decided it was time to add a little warmth to my wardrobe.


This is the perfect time.  The holiday season is around the corner, and I may as well get a head start.  So I began with a simple princess seam red dress.  Vogue 8871 is perfect:  it's simple; it's fit and flare; and it's cute.  Mood's red stretch rayon-nylon ponte knit is a perfect match for this dress.

Initially, I made view B adding the sleeve from Vogue 1314. I tried it on several times before and after hemming it.  Something wasn't right.  So I call in my little consultant, my darling daughter.  Immediately, she said, "It's too long.  Take a few inches off."  Still I was trying to make the length work, trying on various belts.  I didn't want to cut it off after all that hemming.  Tee hee.  So finally I gave in, cutting about 3.5 inches off the dress.  Now, I'm happy.

I made a few more changes:
  • Full bust adjustment
  • Sway back adjustment by adding a center back seam, folding out the access at the waist and curving the center back seam to fit.
  • I don't like to do a narrow hem at the neckline. So I made a neck band about two inches wide and two inches less than the length of the neckline.
  • I didn't top stitch around the armhole, nor did I double stitch the seams.  I stitched once and finished the edges with the serger. 
In the end, the dress did look like view A with long sleeves. I barely looked at the instructions, as this is a very easy dress to make.  The instructions were less than a page after the layout information.

My only dislike was the narrow hem for the neckline.  I like a narrow neck band that is attached then turned in for a clean sturdy finish.

Call me crazy, but I think I will try View B in a print, like the one the model is wearing on the website.  ;-)


This is a very easy pattern that beginners can sew, and it is flattering on most body shapes.  It's worth a try.


Part II:  Adding Interest to a Simple Classic Silhouette - Butterick 5727 Fur Collar

Medium Brown Lamb Shearling, Chocolate/Black Iridescent Twill Lining, and Butterick 5727.

So sorry the medium brown lamb shearling is sold out.  I was able to grab two pieces around this time last year.  Way back then, I did not know what I'd do with it.  When I saw it, I wanted it; so I got it.  The good news is, Mood has other shearlings that may interest you.  You can see them here.   As for the Chocolate/Black Iridescent Twill Lining, they have it in stock and it is perfect with the lamb shearling fur collar.

You can easily make it without a pattern, but I had it on hand.  So why not use it. ;-)  I made size medium.  The only change made: I double the ties.  It looks much nicer then the narrow hem method.
So you never see the wrong side of the fabric.

Easy..,

That's all for now.

Happy Sewing!
C

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Red is your color. You look so photogenic in your red dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern the style color & fit are spot on for you
    Joanns has vogue on sale this wk think ill pop over & pick this up.i just got back into sewing for myself after yrs of lil girls dresses & doll clothing. Hope I can do me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The collar really steps up the luxurious look of the dress - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look ready for the holidays in that dress with fur collar - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous make, the dress and fur collar are so stylish! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This style is amazing on your figure. Very pretty with the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress in such a gorgeous color. Yes, red is fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Beautiful fit and I love the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous fit! I have this pattern and I love it....You are holiday ready. Very sophisticated with the ponytail hairstyle and the collar attachment. This dress would look great with a pair of boots too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love the addition of the fur collar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and I love how that red dress looks on you! Very style and color are flattering and the fit is wonderful. The collar attachment really dresses up the dress (I know, something of an oxymoron), boots would be great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is lovely and a great fit. I have that pattern and really need some quick work dresses but was not sure how to do a FBA to the princess seams. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin