Sunday, May 28, 2017

McCall 7575 - The First Edition



The sun was shining and the sky was bright and clear.  Perfect afternoon to get pictures of my new McCall's shirt.   I called this post "The First Edition" because I can see myself using this pattern over and over again.  The shirt went together smoothly.  No problems or issues.


This is one of the new patterns released this year.  It's described as:  semi-fitted shirts have back yoke, collar, sleeve, hem and length variations. Sizes 8 to 24.  I used size 16 with modifications. The sewing rate is easy.  Yes, it was pretty easy.   I was able to finished it in about four hours.


This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern, which makes the alterations easier as the adjustment cutting lines are already drawn on the pattern.  I made several adjustments.  The first is the FBA, which is posted here.
My other changes/alterations are:
  • lengthen the sleeves by 1 inch.
  • The vertical darts on the front and back were deeper
  • The lengthen of the shoulder is too long; so I trimmed about 1/2 inch away.
  • After sewing the bust darts, I trimmed them to 5/8" and serged the edges. 
  • Swayback adjustment as usual.
  • After I finished the shirt, I noticed the neck is slightly too large.  The 14 neckline is a much better fit.
  • I used two fabrics:  The left front and the lower sleeves are white, while the rest of the shirt is a striped cotton blend I bought in Philadelphia several years ago. This was the only design change from View B.  The white shirting fabric is from Mood.  It is a stretch cotton.





That's it for changes and alterations.

The finished shirts looks a little boxier than the drawing.  But it looks like the shirt that the model is wearing.  It is less "semi-fitted" than I expected.

There are no difficult or confusing instructions.  Typical.

My likes:
  • Views B and D.  I loved the use of the stripe fabric of view B.  The length and shape of view D.
  • Fit instructions by Palmer/Pletsch is always helpful.
  • The two piece sleeve and the yoke.
No real dislikes.

I will definitely make this again.  And I recommend it to others.  This is a winner.  I'm happy with the results and will get a lot of wear out of this shirt.

In closing, please go to Rhonda's blog to check out my interview with her.  The link is here. I'm a "Material Witness on May 19, 2017".


Happy Sewing!
C

24 comments:

  1. It was a great interview with Rhonda! I really like this shirt and how you used the solid and stripe. Another idea for me to steal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. Please do copy it. I want to see what you come up with. wink, wink.

      Delete
  2. GREAT JOB,Cennetta! I also enjoyed your interview on Sew Busted! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your button down Cennetta. Just watched your scope this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice shirt and a good basic that you can definitely use again and again. I think you got a great fit. Interesting your observation that it isn't semi-fitted - to me it looked very fitted but I think it is just that everyone's perspective on fit and shape are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I think you are right. I expected the curve to be a little more pronounce, I guess. 😉

      Delete
  5. This is a great fit! I really like how you used the plain and striped fabric. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thanks. I tried to play up the stripes in this shirt. I'm very pleased with it.

      Delete
  6. I love this - it's such a pity that nobody makes such beautiful things available off the rack! No wonder you all sew...
    hugs,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice. The sewing community has grown extremely. It's so rewarding to sew my own clothes. Thank you again.

      Delete
  7. I love this shirt and your play with striped and solid fabrics - fun! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely have to make more of these. What a perfect fit and job well done. You look amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost finished with the second shirt. I made the tunic version with a collar. I will post it soon.

      Delete
  9. Very nice... I really didn't think the pockets of this shirt would work for me with the full bust. mmm... rethinking the pattern now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I'm almost finished with the second shirt. I'll be posting it soon.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful fit. What kind of seams did you use? BTW I loved your interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean, how did I finish the seams. I just serged them. I didn't want to do flat fell seams, but that is always an option.

      Delete
  11. Just read this post - what a classic shirt - love your colour blocking too. On my to do list now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin