Thursday, July 12, 2018

Simplicity 8601 - View A in Review



Simplicity 8601 is really a great little pattern.  I like all the views.  My first review is on view A.

The pattern is described as easy to sew pullover tops for misses feature tie waist and sleeve variations.  It comes in sizes 6 to 22.  I used size 16 with a few modifications.

Add caption
The top went together with no problems.  And there are no confusing instructions in the guide sheet.

I enjoyed making this top and am very pleased with the results.  I like the center front and back seams, the sleeve variations, the close fit of the neckline, and the tie.


The fabric I used is semi-sheer with a purple on purple polka-dot print woven into the fabric.   It's a polyester silky textile that I purchase in Poland in 2012.   It has lovely drape and falls very close to the body.



I made a small FBA following Sandra Betzina method from her "Fast Fit" book.  This method does not create a bust dart.  I cut the front and back on the bias.  This created some stretch across the body.  Special note: it also create stretch in the armhole.  So be careful when insert the sleeves.  The added flexibility made setting the sleeve easier.  But at the same time you don't want to distort the armhole.  Before hemming the top and sleeves, I hung it on my dress form for a few days to allow the bias cut of the top to settle.

The other small change that I made was to make loop for the button.



I am going to sew it again real soon and I recommend it to all level sewists.

It's cute and easy to sew.  A winner!

Happy Sewing,
C








1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin