Friday, December 12, 2008

Getting Back in the "Sewing" of Things!

Back to sewing! Over the past several days, I was able to get some sewing done. My Sew Along Coat and a "wearing" muslin for B5295. Yesterday a put the lining together, attached the collar and then the lining (V8438). I must admit, I not crazy about the results. The fit is fine. All of the alterations noted (Summer post) were incorporated into the paper pattern. My issue is with the collar which is quite substantial and feels odd. The longer version with a belt and alternative collar may have looked better. But I will go ahead with finishes the coat and post the alterations. Maybe by the time I finish it, it would have grown on me. Occasionally, I make a garment that I don't like at first. But, after I complete it and give it the final hard press, I like it. So we will see what happens.

Making the wearable muslin for B5295 serves two purposes, test the pattern and to perhaps get a faux fur coat at a cheap price. When I purchased the fabric from Hancock's with a 40 percent discount coupon, I thought it would be great for a faux fur coat. But after I put it together, I really did not like the results. I will complete the coat but don't think it will grow on me. Charity maybe.

My likes about this pattern: The pleated back, collar options and the fullness below the hips. I will make it again but in a different type of fabric. I thought charcoal or chartreuse wool melton.


The other day I was on the Threads website and guess who has a tutorial on pressing?
Ann Steeves of Gorgeous Things. Great tips!

Closing - Last week I thought I would see Australia..., Nope. We saw "Cadillac Records" instead. (Thumbs up) The theater switched times for showing Australia. So we switched movies to see. Maybe this week we see Australia.

Happy Sewing!
C

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you! I remember the coat, and I think it will suit you. I do hope it grows on you once you're done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are back. I need to start my coat. Oh welll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you're back. :):):) I'm looking forward to seeing your coat. The pattern's really pretty, I'm sure it'll grow on you. :):):)

    Hugs,
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I'm sure your coat will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ladies. I'm close to finishing the Sew-Along coat.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely compliment on my dress.

    Looking forward to your coat debute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin