Friday, December 26, 2008

Vogue 8438 Sew Along Coat - Finished Part III




For the past four years I have been fortunate enough to make at least one winter coat per year. Last year, I made a coat for the first time for DD; the year before that I made my sisters coats for Christmas; and three years ago I made a coat for the first time for myself.

Last Spring Marji created a blog called: The Great Coat Sew Along. She invited fellow sewists to participate. Each contributor selected a coat of their choice, posted the various stages of making it, and published the finished coat. Several bloggers and members of PR become contributors to this awesome movement. The Coat Sew-Along is a great source of encouragement and allow each participant an opportunity to take advantage of several tutorials posted on the blog. Big Thanks to Marji for creating and maintaining the site.

At the beginning of the year, the blog will be made available for everyone to view. Several people are still working on the final stages of their coats.


I finished my coat on Christmas Eve and am happy to post my final review of the process.

Pattern Description: MISSES’ COAT AND SASH: Loose-fitting, lined coat, above or below mid-knee has princess seams, front snap closures, shoulder pads, center back pleat and side seam pockets. A, B: ruffled collar and collar band, two-piece sleeve. B: purchased belt. C: standing collar, sleeve with cuffs and optional sash.

I made view A.

Did it look like the drawing: Yes, it did. I added a few inches to the length and made some fitting alterations.

Where the instructions easy to follow: No problems there. Typical instructions for putting together a coat with princess seams.

What did you like or dislike about the pattern/coat: The thing that drew me to this pattern was the "flower petal" shaped collar. I'm always looking for patterns with odd or different accents. The other thing that drew me was the sleeve variations. The sleeves for view C could easily be exchanged between a variety of coat patterns.

After I attached the collar to the coat, I fell out of love with the coat thinking the collar was too big for me and the coat. This back and forth with like/dislike happens occasionally as I go through the process of finishing a garment.

My sister saw the coat Saturday, and she just love it! Especially the collar! She already put her bid in for a swing coat made of "beautiful" wool. No hurry, next winter is fine.;-)

Fabric: Bright Navy - Lightweight Melton CoatingBright Navy - Lightweight Melton Coating purchased from Ann's Gorgeous Fabrics. The lining is a brocade from Hancock. I didn't underline the coat so I thought the brocade would help fight against the strong Chicago winds.

Preparing the fabric: Before pre-shrinking the fabric, I trued the grain making sure the cross grain was perpendicular to the lengthwise grain. Then I folded the fabric in half and basted the parameter. I didn't want to go through the trouble of pre-shrinking it myself. So I sent it to the dry cleaners.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: First I made a muslin to check the fit. Then I transferred the observed changes to the pattern. After posting the muslin photos, I noticed I hadn't sewn the correct seam allowance for the center back seam. Instead of the usual 5/8 inch allowance, the pattern called for about 2 inches seam allowance.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Not for myself. The collar is so unique that I wouldn't sew this version again for me. But I would recommend it to others. It's a fairly easy pattern to follow for a stylish coat.


Conclusion: I'm back to my original thoughts about this pattern. It's stylish and offers a unique collar to a otherwise standard design. It's a nice pattern to try. I wear my new coat on Christmas, everyone love it!

Here are all posting related to making this coat.

16 comments:

  1. Your coat fits you perfectly, looks warm too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect and elegant. is a hit, the navy blue color for this model, really. hugs, Paco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very chic. The cap fits super with the jacket.
    Greetings, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coat turned out beautifully! I love that pattern too. I may make a short version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look stunning in your new coat! Congratulations, it's a gorgeous winter coat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful coat! I love the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your coat looks wonderful! I love the collar and the hat is a perfect accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous Coat and like the matching hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful coat, I can see why your sister wants one. That collar is very special. The hat finished the outfit beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your coat, it's gorgeous! The matching hat is beautiful too. Great job as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your coat is beautiful!! I found your blog from Pattern Review. You are so talented. I have been enjoying your blog!
    -Rebecka

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cenetta your coat is beautifulllll
    Very elegant, the hat is the perfect accesory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Love the matching hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so chic and you're able to carry off that collar, I just knew it! The matching hat is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like the Great Coat Sew Along was fun and inspiring. Your coat looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your coat is amazing! Beautiful! I can't wait to view the blog as I've been "sitting" on my coat I cut out back in March and am picking it up this weekend to work on it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin