Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Little Black Dress & Mc Call's 5753

McCall's,like Simplicity and New Look, has it's own version of mix and match pattern pieces to aid sewists in their quest to create unique, personalized garments. The line is called "Create It". About two months ago, I purchased M5753. This is a perfect pattern for that little black dress for which I have none. In October 2008 Toya devoted the entire month to the Little Black Dress, publishing several commentaries and photos of very well crafted LBD's. Toya's articles were exactly the encouragement I needed to start plans to make at least two LBD's.

Ms. Beyonce Knowles wore the cutest LBD to the premier of "Cadillac Records"; of course I would love to have her dress. But we all know her dress cost an obscene amount of money that I do not possess. There is hope. The McCall's pattern has some similarity and would be the perfect blueprint to mimic the Beyonce dress.







9 comments:

  1. hello:
    the dress Beyonce was wearing seems to be very simple. What makes it pretty was the belt with the large bow. I like it very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike. I saw Beyonce's dress and thought of the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyonce's dress is beautiful and classic. It looks like a basic shape, but the fabric and belt lift it beyond the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice! I think this style will look wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say go for it! You will look great in a version of this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be able to make a gorgeous version of this dress for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make it, make it. :):):) It's going to look so beautiful. From the photo it looks like the dress has two kinds of fabric, the black velvet, and a kind of satin I believe. I've seen dresses that are a single color but because they use different fabrics it adds an interesting texture to it. That would be cool to replicate. Oh gosh, the wheels in my head are rolling now, lol.

    Hugs,
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pattern is the perfect knockoff! The dress is so classy.. and the belt makes it look very unique.
    I want to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will be one of my "special projects" in 2009. It's doable, but I just need to figure out how to create the bodice using two types of fabrics without an overlay.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin