I've wanted a faux leather/shearling coat for over two years. I thought about making Vogue 1198, but that wasn't quite the look I was thinking when I first envisioned a faux leather/shearling as part of my winter arsenal. So I started researching online stores and found a few that I liked at Nordstorm. Once I found the inspiration coat, purchasing the fabric was easy. Vogue (Roosevelt Rd.) has a large section of faux suede and faux leather shearling many colors. I went with this rugged texture.
I didn't necessarily want to replicate the Nordstorm coat, but to find a silhouette that match the pattern I was thinking about using hoping the design would be a good match for the fabric.
This morning I woke up to snow which I could do without for another twelve months. The blizzard of 2011 was enough to last me a lonnnngg time.
There is not a lot of descriptive information on the pattern envelope. But I described this view as a shawl collar princess seam coat with patch pocket and cuffs. It comes in sizes 6 - 22. This pattern has been around for a while. I used it to make view C for my sister in 2006.
My coat has the basic silhouette of View A, but I made many changes to create the look I was going for. Most of the instruction were skipped because of way I wanted to use the fabric. But the basic construction method were the same as described in the sewing directions. This pattern is good basic shawl collar jacket/coat pattern. It's a keeper. I didn't have any dislike for it.
My changes were many -
- I omitted the front facing and the use of the block for binding.
- The pocket were finished by turning the shearling to the right side of it; then stitched. Next, I attached the pocket to the coat with the raw edges exposed.
- To finish the center back of the collar, I following the same instructions for the cuff on the sleeve (#11 and #12).
- I made a FBA and prominent shoulder blade adjustment. The fabric has almost zero give. So I cut the coat one size bigger to make sure I had enough wearing ease.
- I eliminated most of the ease of the sleeve cap because of the bulky,stiff fabric.
- None of the raw edges were finished.
- Added about an inch to the center front; made buttonholes.
- I lengthen the coat about two inches.
More pictures can be found here on Flickr.
This is a fairly easy pattern to sew that will produce good result. I love my new coat and I will get a lot of use out of it. I'm wearing a Butterick top made years before I started blogging and Simplicity pants 2860 made October 2008