Monday, May 21, 2012

Brandon and Dominique Go To The Prom 2012 - Vogue 2931 & McCall 3033

Friday was the big day for my niece, Dominique and Brandon. I arrived at my sisters minutes before the couple left for the prom. There was lots of excitement at the house. We were all gathered to see the lovely couple off to the prom. First a few a lot of pictures, then the reviews:
Vogue 2931 Pattern Description:
MISSES’ DRESS: Fitted, lined dress has princess seams with bow and front bra, back invisible zipper closing and neck straps. Built-in foundation with boning, hook and eye tape closing. Floor length.
Pattern Sizing:
6 to 22; I started with a size 10; but ended up using size 6 for the top and 8 from the hips down.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did. This pattern makes a lovely prom dress.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Simple. At first I thought the bow was going to give me a "slight headache", but no. The construction of it was no problem at all. The key is to follow every step. The rest of the instructions were pretty standard.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
My niece picked a great pattern for starters. The over-sized bow and fish tail are the speakers. And boy do say speak elegance. You don't have to add rhinestones or crystals to come up with a beautiful dress. I enjoyed making it. There are a few dislikes, and they are related to some of the construction and my own personal taste (After thoughts are making the dress.) Step 27 instruction you to sew in bra cups. I think she could have done without them. The shaping around the bust area was a little bulky. No one else noticed I noticed in the fitting, but decided not to remove them. I didn't like that the founding was all lining fabric. In hind sight, it would have been better if the outer portion had been the dutchess satin. It seemed to round up over the top of the dress. And it was snug around her upper body. And finally, for years I have hated the method used by pattern companies for creating the French tack. This time I came up with a new way to get it done quickly. I used DMS floss and a tiny crochet needle to make the tacks. At the ends I left a three tail. So that I could easily thread a needle to attached the tacks between the lining and the dress.
Fabric Used:
Dutchess satin and poly lining from Fishman's Fabric in Chicago.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Dominique was easy to fit. No serious alterations. I made the halter straps shorter and shorten the dress by an inch or so. The other fitting adjustments were made as I sewed. The princess seams made that easy. No design changes.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I probably won't sew this again. But do recommend it to others.
Conclusion: The is a great prom dress pattern that doesn't require a lot of fussy trims, rhinestones and crystals. It's speaks elegance all by itself. The indicated sewing level is advanced, but I think with careful sewing intermediate sewers could also make this dress. As part of the prom dress assemble, I made a shrug/jacket, garter, and purse for my niece. All made from the same fabric as the dress.

McCalls 3033 Pattern Description:
MISSES’ EVENING COVER-UPS: Capelet A and B are unlined with optional trim detail; shrug C is self lined has ruffle detail; shrug D is unlined has set-in sleeves; capelet E and F are lined; capelet E has trim detail.
Pattern Sizing:
X-Small to Large. I made a Small
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
The silhouette was the same. I used the pattern for View D to make a lined jacket. So my rendition of the shrug/jacket is different.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I really didn't look at them until I started writing this review. At glance, they appear to be easy. My method is much like the instruction for views C and D.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I thought is was a perfect "chill chaser". We are have cool days in Chicago. So it's nice to have a jacket or capelet as part of the prom outfit. No dislike for this easy shrug.
Fabric Used:
Dutchess satin and poly lining from Fishman's Fabric in Chicago.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
No alterations. The design changes are: - I cut lining as well as the fashion fabric for the three pattern pieces. Sew each together the combined them using a similar method as described for view C.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and yes. This is a great pattern to have in your collection. Especially, if you sew prom dresses. All of the views are appropriate for gowns and evening attire.
Conclusion: This is a easy pattern to sew and a great complement to evening wear. I highly recommend it.

All photos can be viewed on Flickr.

41 comments:

  1. She looks so beautiful! The dress is amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe there are no comments! You've done a fabulous job. Perfect colour and sassy styling without overexposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. Your niece's dress was all 1950s glam. Simple and elegant. Brandon also looks elegant. Girl that was another job well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!!! Your niece looks SO classy. Much nicer than anything you could buy off the rack. This brings back fond memory of sewing my prom dress- first time I ever sewed from a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is so elegant1 I love that her date has a matching vest & tie! Did you make a purse too? By the way, they are a very cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is so elegant! I love that her date has a matching vest & tie. Did you make a purse too? By the way, they are a very cute couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice on the pattern. Your niece's dress is beautiful. Happy faces all around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can tell by the expression on her face that this had to be so much fun to make up. She looks adorable and the dress is killer good looking on her. It's so much fun to live vicariously through these young girls!!! What precious pics that will last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Love the little jacket that you made to go with her lovely dress....but I really got a kick out of the photo in Flickr where she is wearing her date's tuxedo jacket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress for a beautiful girl. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the pics. They both look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work! this dress is a WOW and you're niece looks beautiful. You definitely got "cool aunt" points here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sewing. This post reminded me of the wonderful dresses my mom made for me... very nostalgic. Even today I wonder how she did it. You are a wonderful aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cenetta, this is pure class! Your niece and Brandon make a beautiful young couple. My husband just walked by and I told him he had to see this beautiful dress. He was speechless for a moment and then he, an avid bird watcher, gave you his ultimate compliment. He said Dominique looked like a beautiful goldfinch, one of the prettiest little yellow birds imaginable.

    You did in incredible job on this. Please take a bow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank everyone!
    Sally - I did make the purse and garter. The purse was reviewed a few years ago. I've made it at least five time now.
    Thanks again, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dress is gorgeous and the young ones look fantastic! The color yellow was such a lovely choice. I hope they had the time of their life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing job, and what a cute pair! The yellow is just stunning. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohmy but that is just one cute couple and she is wearing an awesome gown! She must be so thrilled that you can take her ideas and make them a reality. Thanks for sharing the pics with us because this is one of those stages that I miss!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely dress. You helped create a night she will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a beautiful job.Lovely dress. She looks gorgeous.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was so pretty my DH chimed in as I was reading and looking at the pictures! LOL!! She was just gorg and the dress out of this world! Nice work as usual! (I'm tired for you) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a great job with this dress. I have seen it made up for more busty women, however, here you made it work well for her size. Way to go..

    ReplyDelete
  23. what an amazing dress Cenetta, its such a great color on her skin tone, I love the bow, she looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is stunning! The dress suits her to a T! What an elegant dress. She must have been the prettiest girl at the prom.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great dress & lovely fit. The bow is fabulous, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a good looking couple, hope they had a brilliant night. the dress is absolutely gorgeous, I think it is the first time I have seen this pattern made up and it looks even better than the pattern illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. They make an absolutely beautiful couple. The dress is so pretty and looks fantastic and I just love the white tuxedo with the yellow vest.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cennetta, I am speechless! This is absolutely stunning. The smile on her face--and the clear admiration from her date--should burn a memory into your heart. Your generosity with your talent and time is--well, it's just you, Cennetta!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous... perfect color choice. Such a cute couple.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful dress! Wonderful color! Prom send offs are so exciting! Your niece looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely couple and she is absolutely stunning! I've always loved yellow on that skintone - so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So gorgeous!!! What a lucky girl to have you. Don't you just love sewing for teens? No fit issues! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. She looks beautiful and the dress is so very professional! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous dress and gorgeous niece! That bow is just perfect--feminine but not too froo froo. She looked fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A stunner. You really did an outstanding job on her dress.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks, everyone! Your comments are greatly appreciated.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  37. You did an amazing job on this gown and she looks beautiful. All that hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin