Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sewing Leather -


One of my goals for 2008 is to sew something made of leather. While at the library, I borrowed a copy of "Sewing with Leather and Suede" written by Sandy Scrivano. This is a great book for anyone who wants to try their hand at sewing leather or suede. On the cover it states: tips, techniques, and inspiration. It delivers. The contents include: How Leather is Made, Learning about Leather, Tools and Equipment, Special Techniques for Leather and Suede, Projects to Get You Started,..., It follows through to the care and cleaning of leather goods. This book is beautifully illustrated and provides a glossary of terms and descriptions.

Rosanne suggested that I borrow a Mary Roehr book of alterations. They didn't have a copy so I started looking through the stacks of crafting books available. There were loads of books on crocheting, knitting, scrapbooking, sewing, etc. I was impressed. Thanks again Rosanne. I think this is a great way to preview books before buying.

5 comments:

  1. I found your post very interesting because i was thinking of making a skirt trim with leather. My inspiration came from a lapped skirt i saw in a magazine. MMMM you got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am planning to finally sew in leather, in my case I have had this lovely lambskin for maybe 5 years. Looking forward to seeing what you sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to start soon, thanks for the tip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at sewing leather, but have felt a bit intimidated. I’ll check out this book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin